Taurus 66 or S&W 686?

jlflegal

I have my choice for a .357 down to two, Taurus 66 or S&W 686. Don't like GP-100's.

Both have a four inch barrel and the Smith costs exactly $100 more. Is it worth it? Which is more accurate? The choice is for range play and home defense.

The trigger on the Taurus feels the best in both DA and SA but would the S&W be a better investment, or doesn't it really matter?

Whatta ya say guys?

If the Taurus trigger feels better than the Smith, then they have made some improvements. I own a Taurus 66 and a Smith 586. The Smith may be a little more accurate, but not so you would really notice all that much. I don't see that Smith guns are any more durable than Tauruses. Its a tough call. Both are excellent guns. I will say go with the Taurus and spend the 100 dollars that you would have spent on the Smith on ammo, or on components if you handload.

I was looking at a 6" 66 in stainless on Wed. I say go with the Taraus. I was very impressed, and the 100 of ammo you can buy with the differance in price will make up for any accuarccy differance.

I'd go S&W. Any accessories made for revolvers are made for S&W, (grips, sights, holsters, Etc). Plus, a Smith will have a higher resale/investment value. Smith & Wesson has a good reputation. To most people, Taurus is just some foriegn gun.
Smiths also can be tuned to a better standard.

If you can afford it, buy the Smith.

i own the gp 100 and i can understand some folks not carring for them.allthough the gp is all bueseness its a bit bulky and the trigger is just o k but can be made very nice for 10 dollers drop in a wolf 8 pound hammer spring,makes a sweet trigger.anyhow i prefere my old model ruger speed six.much more streamlined,lighter gp.they can be found NIB for 200-250.great gun.between the 2 you mention its a toss up.i sappose id get the smith because of all the guns Handguns,i own i dont have a smith n wesson revolver.i would like to get one second hand of course.i do like the fact taurus gives you a choice of ss or blue wereas the smiths are all ss.

Of your choices, I feel the 686 wins hands down. Nice trigger, good sights. I amcurious, though. Why do you not care for the Ruger GP100?

I had the GP-100 for about four months and put almost 1,000 rounds thru it. When I first started shooting it my trigger finger would ache in half a box so I put in a spring kit, even that didn't really help.

I never got to like the cylinder latch, much prefer S&W's way.

I could shoot it pretty good but the operation of it was not enjoyable.

Back