Taurus 627 Opinions Needed (vs. S&W 19)

Martowski

Well, I was at my local shop on Saturday and I was looking at some S&W 19s. Had some used for around $270 - $320, varying on condition. While I was looking at these, the guy behind the counter pulled out a Taurus 627 and said that he liked those a lot.

While I'm not a huge fan of Taurus, the 627 did look like a nice piece. It had a wider trigger, which I'm not a huge fan of, and the double action trigger seemed a lot stiffer than on the Smiths. True, the Smiths were used and the Taurus was brand new, so that may have had something to do with it.

So, what do you all think of the Taurus 627? Any owners of any out there? Do the triggers smooth up and get lighter over time? What do you think of the Taurus 627 compared to the S&W 19? The Taurus had a nice, solid feel to it and is also ported. And, I have to admit, it just looks nice as well. What would be the better revolver in 4"?

The model 19!!
And, where is this shop that has all those model 19s?
I have been looking over a year for a 2 1/2in model 19.
Now, in Calif, one can buy them only from a private party, not a gun dealer.
I read, too often, of problems with T. revolvers. I had one in 22 mag, and it was a waste of money. However, there have been more favorable reports on their revolvers in the past couple of years; nonetheless, I still read of new T. revolvers that have to be sent back to the manufacturer again and again.
I was considering a 7 shot T. 617 in 357 mag, but I'll go with a Ruger SP101 instead even if I have to lose 2 rds.

I would opt for a good, used Smith & Wesson model 19; as most should have an excellent action.:) From reading other
post, regarding Taurus quality control/warranty repair; I
would steer clear of their firearms, by all means.:p:eek:

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I own a 627 and a 2.5 model 66. Both have been great but I have had some trouble with the Taurus with light primer strikes. I sent it to the factury for repairs and it has been trouble free ever since. Earlier Tauri were junk but they have greatly improved over the last few years. Since the 627 is ported, you only want to shoot JHP or FMJ because of the cleaning issue. Trying to get the lead out of the ports is not fun. Also, it is considerable louder because of the ports than my S&W 66. However the .357's are tamed down quite a bit and shooting .38's is like shooting .22's because of the ribbed grips and ports. Even though the 627 is a 4 inch and the 66 is 2.5, I find I am more accurate with the 66. The trigger is definitely alot smoother but the Taurus is not that bad either (similar to a Ruger)(owned a SP101). I just find the 66 fits my hand better and I have had it longer. I have no regrets and enjoy both but if I was limited to just one - it would be the 66 or the 19 in your case.

I have also been looking for a model 19 2.5 or 4 inch pinned and recessed.

Taurus is not the only kid on the block that has QC problems. I had a S&W 686 that made trips back to S&W and I also owned a Browning pistol that made 3 trips back for the same repair. All manufacturers have QC woes crop on them every now and then.

Back