Taurus 617 Issues

D Bear

Inactive
I’ve had two instances using federal 158 grain 357 magnum ammo where a piece of bullet casing gets wedged between the cylinder and the cone after firing and the cylinder locks. I’ve also had issues getting the brass out when using Geco 357 ammo. Has anyone else ever experienced these issues?

I'm not a Taurus lover (even though I own two of them), but this sounds sounds like an ammunition problem rather than a firearm problem.

Is it the casing or the bullet jacket? Are you saying that a piece of the brass casing comes off and lodges between the cylinder and forcing cone? Can you post a picture of one of the damaged casings?

It may be a timing issue. With the revolver empty and cylinder closed, look down the barrel while shining a light at the rear end of the cylinder between it and the firing pin. Check each cylinder to make sure it lines up with the barrel.

I did do that. Looks good. Hasn't happened with other 357 ammo or 38 special. I'll just use the federal ammo in the Henry only. If it happens with another ammo type, its going back for inspection (for at least 4 months...). Thanks.

Back