Taurus 617, DOES IT EXIST????

andreb

I've read posts about this gun, I've heard people talk about it but I have never seen one. It's not on the taurus website or in any other website I could find. Does anyone know anything about this gun? Is it a Multialloy like my 85 Ultra Lite Titanium? What caliber is it? Will anyone show me a picture of it or maybe a link to a site with pics of the gun?

Thank you very much,

André

The model 617 comes in three basic flavors:
all steel @ 29 ounces
total titanium @ 19.9 ounces
ultralight aluminum/titanium @ 16 ounces

The snubby in the pic is the total titanium model in the matte spectrum blue finish. The trigger was fairly rough out of the box, but it smoothed up with some dry firing.

Attachments

• tauri.jpg
    tauri.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 135
IT MOST CERTAINLY EXISTS

Taurus 617CH with a 2-inch pipe is my bedside gun. 7-shots of 357 magnum power in a compact package. HKS makes speedloaders for it, and several excellent holsters are also available.

It was this revolver that converted me from a semi-auto fan.

trustgift_.jpg

I carry the 617 (.357, stainless, ported, exposed hammer) every day in my belly band. I've had it for about 6 months and love it - it has had absolutely no mechanical problems after 1000 rounds and is accurate and comfortable to shoot. It's eaten everything from .38spl. Wadcutters to .357 Gold Dots.

Yep, they exist. Have shot two of them in S.S. this past year; one ported one not. Both needed cylinder gap adjustment so they would not bind up as they got hot.

Since adjusted both are nice shooting, solid little guns that pack a lot of thump into a fairly small package. I wish that they would come out with a 3inch version with a full length ejector rod.

Looked at one in titanium yesterday, priced at $400 new at a gun store here. It appeared to be pretty well made, except for the gawd-awful bluish-purple color. Then I dry-fired it. The trigger was terrible. It was one ot the heaviest and grittiest triggers I've tried. I have a Taurus Mod. 66 7-shot stainless whose trigger is much smoother. I tried another for comparison, but it was almost as bad. If I was going to go with a 7-shot lightweight I think I'll save up for the S&W 386PD.

Got One

I've had one since Nov. 2001 in matte blue. It's been a fun gun to shoot... a little "hot" handling .357 loads with such a short barrel, so I usually keep .38's in her. But it's handled anything I fed it.

One comment, I've been looking to upgrade the grips on my M617 but noone seems to have anything in this new COMPACT frame size for Taurus. I may order the "Ribber" grips off of the Taurus Web-Site for $20.00. They look pretty cool & grippable.

I've got a couple of HKS 7-shot speed-loaders and have made this pistol my bedside armor.

Overall, I would recommend this one.
Gillman

I got mine just a few weeks ago, $210 used (nice to get one that you know works and has been broken-in). Mine's the plain 29oz version, and that's what I wanted; it's very satisfying to be holding a big heavy piece of metal.

I would like to get some of those ribber grips myself, though the ones that are on it are not bad.

Does anybody know a good holster that will fit one of these? I can't find anything.

Holster

The only holster that I've been able to find is a "BLACK LEATHER STRONG MODEL929 7 BELT LOOP HOLSTER WITH CRISS CROSSINC AND HALF MOON DESIGN ON FRONT" that I found on Auction Arms for $5.00.

But, here in Houston, it's seldom that I'm wearing a Jacket that will cover this belt holster.

Good luck with your search.
Gillman

My wife has one that she uses for CWP -- I just asked a question about it on another thread.

It is a great pistol and shoots nicely with .38s in it. I have not gotten any .357s yet, but she will shoot those soon. She got the pistol this past Dec. and have put about 250 rounds through it. (she only let me shoot it about 5 times :rolleyes: )

If you can find one, pick it up. I think hers was $235 brand new at the Charlotte, NC gunshow. My only trouble now is finding a speedloader. E-mail me if you can help!

USMCsilver@charter.net

USMCsilver- The HKS speedloader should be the same one that fits the S&W 7-shot L-frame. Should not be too hard to find.

Last edited:
dsgrntldPW,

Then I dry-fired it. The trigger was terrible. It was one ot the heaviest and grittiest triggers I've tried.

The Total Ti Taurus guns are pretty gritty out of the box; the all steel and MultiAlloy/UltraLite guns are much smoother. However, it has been my experience that a bit of dry/live firing (with the addition of a Wolff Spring Kit if you want) smooths them up nicely.

(My *&* 296Ti also took a bit o' 'smithing and a Wolff Spring Kit to meet my expectations.)

Back