Taurus 605 .357 $270

DaleA

Actually it was the PRICE that caught my eye, not the gun itself. I'm not in the market for ANY new gun right now, still I got the clerk to haul it out of the display case and took a look at it.

Meh.

I liked the grips a lot. I liked the 'laid back' hammer, I don't think it would get snagged on much of anything. But I really like the humpback S&W with the flush mounted hammer that really, really wouldn't snag on anything. The cylinder release just looked cheesy and I admit it unfairly turned me off to the gun. For me it was hard to get at and seemed really rough to operate.

Still if I was looking for a snub revolver, something like a Ruger LCR, or an S&W J frame, that Taurus price would sure figure highly in my decision. Plus, even though I've made many Taurus jokes, I don't have a problem with the company and that would not turn me off to the gun.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ta...num-polymer-revolver/0000000083746?Ntt=taurus

Taurus has such difficulty making their S&W. Copies work I can imagine the future difficulties with their plastic framed pistol. Kinda ugly looking too.

Not a chance. Not because its a Taurus, I like alot of their offerings, its the poly garbge that has to go.

I just bought a poly Protector 605 for about $285 plus $20 transfer fee. I haven't shot it yet. Just playing with it though, it's certainly no Smith & Wesson. On the other hand it cost half as much as a Smith. Not as refined as my 686-3, but the 605 is light weight and has a fiber optic front which I like. As long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger, I'll probably carry it once in a while. It was mainly the price that attracted me also.

Actually it was the PRICE that caught my eye, not the gun itself. I'm not in the market for ANY new gun right now, still I got the clerk to haul it out of the display case and took a look at it.

Meh.

I liked the grips a lot. I liked the 'laid back' hammer, I don't think it would get snagged on much of anything. But I really like the humpback S&W with the flush mounted hammer that really, really wouldn't snag on anything. The cylinder release just looked cheesy and I admit it unfairly turned me off to the gun. For me it was hard to get at and seemed really rough to operate.

Still if I was looking for a snub revolver, something like a Ruger LCR, or an S&W J frame, that Taurus price would sure figure highly in my decision. Plus, even though I've made many Taurus jokes, I don't have a problem with the company and that would not turn me off to the gun.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ta...num-polymer-revolver/0000000083746?Ntt=taurus

Oh, that 605.

Taurus' poly revolvers have never appealed to me.

I have the original all steel 605. Fine gun, no complaints.

t605sm.jpg

Brownells still has some 642 LS's for sale. $450 and you get a $100 gift card and a $50 rebate. Most of the other lower cost S&W's are picked over at this point. I'd spend the extra $30 on a S&W.

I think I would pass on the poly gun, the 2 Taurus 38 ultra lite guns I had problems and would think the poly would be even worse. Unless they are the old steel guns I would pass. If I had to go poly I think I would go with a Ruger. I know the Taurus price is attractive but......

Back