Taurus 5-shot revolvers

gumshoe4

I've been carrying a S&W 649 for a long time now, but lately I've been getting interested in the Taurus small frame revolvers.

I don't know much about them, but I've heard a variety of different reports. Maybe you can help me with some basic info.

I've noticed over the years that the 649 is not a gun you put unlimited rounds through at a range session. I mostly limit it to 50 rounds or so just to keep the muscle memory intact, but I don't do extensive shooting with the gun or it starts tearing me up.

Are the Taurus small frame 2" 5-shot revolvers more "shooter-friendly" than the J-frames? Why or why not? How do the Taurus small frame 2" 5-shot revolvers compare to the S&W J-frames in shooting, accuracy, reliability? I'm particularly interested in hearing shooting comparisons from folks who have shot both and who can compare them in terms of trigger reach, felt recoil, shot-to-shot recovery and so on.

In the last month I have shot:

S&W Airweight Bodyguard (638) 38 Spl. Crimson Trace soft grips
S&W 640 357 mag. Stock Uncle Mike's boot grips
Taurus 85 Chopped Hammer 38 Spl. Wood boot grips
Taurus 650 357 mag. Stock Santoprene grips

Both Taurus' have much better factory triggers. They also lock up tighter than the S&W's, but I don't know how big a deal that is. The Taurus 650 has a unique trigger feel, it has a very defined "valley" that let's you trigger-cock the gun, then, when the cylinder stop engages, the force goes up. Then you can squeeze it off "SA". All DA revolvers do this, but it's very pronounced on the 650. I like it, but it is going to take some learning. Is a stress situation, I 'm sure I wouldn't notice it. Best trigger Taurus 85, worst S&W Bodyguard.

The fastest recovery is the Taurus 650 with 38 Spl, it's like a .22, because of the grips. Worst is either of them with Fed. Hydrashok 357 - the recoil is, uh, "noticeable". Although, again the Santoprene grips on the Taurus help a lot for recovery. Ironically, I am going to replace these grips with Eaglegrips. The stock ones are too big and draggy for a carry piece. I don't think the Airweight is any harder to recover with 38 Spl. than the steel guns.

Trigger reach is very adjustable depending on whether the grips cover the back strap. The Smith 640 and Taurus 85 have exposed back straps and feel small. The T 650 has the best feel, again I am going to compromise that for concealability. There are LOTS of grips available for these guns.

I've only put a couple hundred rounds through the S&W's, and several hundred through the Taurus 85. They are all reliable and I absolutely trust them all. A steady diet of 357 mag will probably loosen any of them up. The frames are small, top straps are really small.

I shot all of these guns for "groups", but just with my forearms braced. They all gave better than 2" groups at 7 yds in this way. They are all capable of much more in a Ransom rest with optimum ammo, I'm sure. The 650 shot a group of less than 1" with 38 Spl, but that's one group... They are all plenty accurate for the intended purpose.

No complaints from me regarding my two Taurus 85 38 snubbies. I have a Stainless model, and a Total Titanium model. They both work perfectly.

I really like my Taurus M85 ULT. It shoots very well and is surprisingly accurate. I usually shoot reloads from Georgia Arms, but stoke her with +P HydraShocks for carry. My wife fell in love with this gun until she shot it. It will smack you a little, but I think she was surprised by it more than anything. She prefers my 4" 629 with 44spcl powered loads. I use my 85 for personal protection against 2, 4 and 0 legged creatures (wild dogs and snakes at the property). At the property it wears a Biachi Accumold and I can drive the tractor, cut timber, fish and hunt all day with noticing its at my side. Nor do I have to worry about corrosion. I like Taurus' revolvers, with their pistols I haven't had too much luck.

tjg

I carry a Taurus .357 mag,concel carry,dont no the model.Only problem I had to over come was the trigger pull was hard causing my shots to fall low and to the left.Had the spring reworked and no problem now.Using .357 158 grn HydroShok gives quite a kick but 38spl a lot easier on my hand while range shooting.

I have a Taurus M85UL and a Smith model 60.

The Taurus is lighter than the Smith. I conceals easier (shorter hand grip). I have been using it for some IDPA type practice. It points well and trigger squeeze, in DA mode, does not seem to negatively impact accuracy, even using multiple targets.

The advantage to the Smith is the .357 capability. If you shoot the magnums, you need the extra grip length for control. Trigger may be a little smoother, but again, the Taurus does not seem to have an accuracy problem. The Smith is a little harder to conceal with a IWB holster due to the extra grip length.

I like both, mainly carry the Taurus for concealment reasons, especially in the warmer months. As the weather cools, the concealability advantage of the Taurus will be less an advantage and I'll probably go to carrying the Smith or possibly a .40 cal auto loader.

Thanks very much...

for the excellent information. The concensus seems to be that the Taurus snubbies, even the Ti or UL models, seem to be pretty good shooters.

Guess I'll have to look a little closer. Here in CA, we're limited by models approved as "safe" by the state Department of Justice. The 85 and several other models are authorized for sale and I've seen the anodized Ti 85 in various colors for sale in the gunstores (yes, we still have some here!!).

Thanks again for all your help!

I had a Taurus 85UL.
The only reason that I sold it was that I was too impatient to wait until I saved money for another gun.

It is not the gun to get if you want to shoot a lot, unless you reload, IMO.

The cheapest .38 ammo is usually 158gr lead.
Where my Taurus was relatively easy to shoot with 125gr +P jhp, nobody recommends shooting +P all the time.
It is too hard on the guns.
Shooting "cheap" 158gr ammo in the gun was not very pleasant.
The extra bullet weight seems to have really made a difference in recoil.
After shooting 30 - 40 rounds, I would usually put the gun away and shoot something else.
Then, the next day, my hand would have a dull ache, all day long.

We had the same problem with my wife's S&W Airweight Centennial, until I got her a hand-filling set of Pachm??r grips.
The gun is a lot easier to shoot now, but not very concealable.

A steel Taurus can shoot cheap ammo all day, and you can keep the aluminum one for carry.
If you load your own ammo, you could probably load up light practice loads.
I don't know why nobody sells light loads by the 1000.
I guess most people don't target shoot with ultra-light snubbies.

Shoot safe, have fun.
JP
><>

Isn't anyone gonna post a pic of two Tauri and a film container?
Oh yeah, I've had nothing but good expiriences with the Model 85's.

Isn't anyone gonna post a pic of two Tauri and a film container?

Yeah, Lightsped!

I'm feeling a little gypped, here. Those two 85's of yours have become kind of a TFL tradition. ;)

Wow, a TFL tradition? Wow, that's cool :)

Ok, in that case, here they are!

my2taurus38s.jpg

Thanks Lightsped, the wife just got a look at your pic and now she wants one. Gives me a reason to counter her wants with a want of my own. :D

Back