Taurus .454 Raging Bull, cases jamming cont/

TGS

Got the gun back yesterday and shot it. No change. The cases still stick in the chambers and will not eject. Taurus said they fired 60 rounds and had no trouble! They think it is probably the ammo. Ive called them today and they got back to me after I had left for the day but left a message with someone for me. Ive used 260 and 300gr honady jfp and each and every one jammed good. I will talk to them in the morning and find out what they test with and will try to talk with hornady and see what they have to say. I am getting some weird expansion, very tapered. It may very well be some bad brass, but three boxes??? Ive reloaded and tried again but the results were no different. Im going to try some Starline Brass and some Freedom
Arms and see what happens. I did make sure that the chambers were very clean and dry but it made no difference.

Are these your own handloads? Are they hot, medium or light powder-charges? What brand of brass? .45 Colt brass, or Casull brass?

No notion of any cure; just curious.

Art

Here's the cure, DUMP the Taurus, and BUY a Ruger!! :) Short of doing that, have a gunsmith mike the chambers to see if they are the right diameter. I'll bet that they were bored too small for spec's. Hey,sometimes you get a lemmon!! :(
I own two Taurus's, and I have had problems with both. I won't buy another!!!

While I haven't had much practice with my .454 (Taurus), I took it out yesterday with Hornady 300 gr. loads. I had the same stuck case problem, but the gun was accurate enough, as I could hit an 8" plate at 100yds. anytime I wanted. With more practice, I'd try printing it and getting better. The stuck cases bother me a little, but besides quick reloads, what else could it harm? I didn't have this problem with hot Winchester loads. Seems to me that if the rounds "drop" in without resistance, but are hard to get out after firing, it's not a problem with the chamber, but the brass, since a function of the case is to form a seal in the chamber, and obviously it's expanding so much it doesn't want to come out...thoughts? Please keep this thread going so we can come up with a solution.

You might try having the chambers polished to a mirror bright surface. Had a friend with a 44 maggie that had chambers that had swirls from the boreing. Not ridges you could feel, mind you, just marks. After a polishing, the problem cleared up.

Good luck

Back