Taurus 450 45 LC in stainless

Casey

Hello all.

Does anyone have any information about the stainless steel 45 LC snubbie that Taurus makes? I am thinking about getting one, as it looks pretty good. I think it has porting to help control the hotter loads.

I am also considering the Dan Wesson heavy frame revolver in 45 LC, but it looks considerably more expensive.

Thanks for any information.

Casey

I've got a stainless Taurus .45 Colt snub-nose, and it's great. It would be perfect if it had one more inch on the barrel and NO porting. I really don't know who needs porting for a .45 Colt. I haven't shot hot handloads loads out of it, but you can shoot them out of the titanium version. The stainless is fine with standard factory ammo or moderate handloads.

I agree with GRH here. If Taurus would offer their snubbies in 3" with no porting.... Then again I'm kinda partial to three-inch guns. They balance better and you really don't give up a lot of concealability with that one more inch of barrel. The added ballistic advantage doesn't hurt either.

IMHO, porting works best in a high pressure round, where the gasses diverted by the porting can have some ooomph to help tame the muzzle rise. I really doubt their effectiveness in a short barrelled gun shooting a low energy round to begin with. (For anyone who knows anything at all about physics, the force (ported energy) applied to the moment arm (barrel length) produces the torque (recoil dampening effect).) The guns weight factors in there also, but the point is still valid. In .44Mag, OK, I'll buy that porting will help significantly. The same goes for .357Mag. Even 9mm, 10mm and .40S&W. But a low-energy (low pressure) round like .38Spl, .44Spl, .45Colt I would seriously doubt the true effectiveness.

I have used a ported gun once -- I didn't like it. My buddy had a ported Taurus .357 with a six-inch barrel. We compared the percieved recoil to my unported 6" gun. With full mag loads there was a noticeable effect, but with .38Spls there wasn't. As much as the porting helped with the recoil dampening with the .357Mags, I found the flame jet obscuring the front sight to be a noticeable distraction, preventing quick front sight re-acquisitiion for a follow-up shot.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Yours may vary.

Now Casey,

The Taurus five-shot snubbie and a large-frame Dan Wesson are two entirely different platforms, with entirely different applications. The snubbie would be fine for CCW or nightstand duty, but hardly a target arm. The DW is meant to be more of a hunting gun. You have to decide what you intend to use the gun for. I'll tell you right now that a large frame Dan Wesson is huge! It is not something you'll be able to conceal easily, even with a short barrel installed. Heck, I have a small-frame DW (.357), and even that is hard to conceal with a 2-1/2 inch barrel, not to mention heavy!

Mission?

Casey,

What do you want to do with your .45 Colt?

If you want a concealable, lightweight, and reliable defensive gun that will fire a round close to or slightly more powerful than a .45 ACP, get the Taurus.

If you want a full-bore hunting gun that can fire rounds (such as the Corbon) that are at least the equal of the .44 Magnum, get the Dan Wesson.

Please, ***do not get the impression that the Taurus can handle the "magnum" .45 Colt loads. The Taurus should be considerably stronger than the old Colt Single-Action, but nowhere near a Ruger, Anaconda, or N-Frame in strength.***

Now, if you want a lightweight .45 Colt with a longer sight radius, I would wait a little, as Taurus is supposed to be making their Tracker (4" bl) in .45 Colt, as well. I would not try to harvest a deer with this pistol unless (1) in a state where it is legal [you cannot find a round that will exceed 500 ft-lbs at 100 yards in the Taurus], (2)you practice a lot, and (3)you are at very close range.

Actually, I am looking for a snubbie in 45 LC only as a possible carry weapon, if it ever happens in Ohio. It would also be carried around the house. I would not use it as a hunting gun, nor would I try to load it up to "magnum" level.

I just bought a King Cobra that I would use if I ever want to shoot "magnum" level rounds through a revolver. I also own a *&* model 625 that I would probably load to 45 super levels before I would load up rounds for a 45 LC snubbie.

I just thought that if you wanted a very concealable snubbie in a very effective caliber, the Taurus looked pretty good.

It was just a passing thought about the Dan Wesson. I didn't realize it was as big as it apparently is.

Thanks.

Casey

Back