Taurus 45 Long Colt?

Drakejake

I have and like the Taurus titanium 357, 20 oz. Taurus offers a similar revolver in .45 Long Colt, in titanium, stainless, or aluminum, weights from 20 oz to 28 oz. Can anyone comment on how these shoot? The Long Colt .45 appears to be a bit hotter round than the .45 ACP. Any comments on the differences between these two rounds?

Thanks,

Drakejake

The 45 Colt is hotter than the 45 ACP. Something like 255 g's at about 900 fps. The 45 Colt is a great manstopper. Get the longest barrel you can, however.

justinr1

.45 colt vs. 357 Magnum

I forgot to ask: how does the recoil of the .45 Colt compare with the 357? I find the 357 rather brutal beyond a few rounds. But the 38 special is fine.

Drakejake

Well, that's the price you pay with titanium guns. No way am I gonna shot a .357 mag out of those guns. I like to enjoy shooting, not be punished by it!

justinr1

man the only .45 colt ammo i find(when i can) is cowboy loads which are very anemic indeed.im sure 45 acp are far more potent than the 45 colt rds you can easily find..id go with the 44 special in the snub

I have considered getting one myself. It's about the best a common big bore snubbie can get without going wrist snapping magnum.

DJ:
I just got one of these in .38.

Are you interested in the 2" barrel, or the 4" barrel? (I haven't seen any of the 4" out yet.)

The .45 Colt will have a different recoil than a .357. Probably about like the difference between a .45 ACP and a .40 S&W. You may or may not feel that it's "heavier". My guess is, you will not feel it is more painful.

Rather like this: on paper, my .45-70 recoils more than my .308. I would say that my 1895G "moves" a lot, but it is MUCH less painful to shoot than my FR-8. (I hope that's slightly clearer than mud! :D)

357 vs. 45 long colt

:cool: all things relative of course depending on the loads you are using hot 45 long colts pack alot of punch compared to the 357 both capable loads. If recoil is a concern I recomend a 357 and become adept at shooting that focousing on accuracy, if you are ready for alittle more spit there are some 45 long colt loads that are impresive. If carry weapons are your focous 357 are very capable, if you are thinking hunting and carry in one caliber explore your options depending on your game.

Good shootin and good huntin.

The little Taurus Colts are NOT up to the "magnum" Colt loads (such as Corbon 300 grn @1300 fps). You can, however, easily shoot loads like the CorBon 200 grn@ 1000 fps.

Jeff Cooper bought one of the first ones out. He calls his 19oz 2" 5-shot total Titanium .45 LC "Titan." Frankly, it sounds pretty nifty, to me. With revolvers, you can use heavy-bullet semi-wadcutters (Black Hills used to load a dynamite hardcast LSWC load, and I think Buffalo Bore still does.

drakejake, get the gun.
I've shot it enough to know it ain't nuthin like that .357 you have.
Does yours have the "ribber" grips on it?
These and the porting make it very shootable.
More of a boom/push than a crak/snap, if you know what I mean.

My father measures a 230 grn at 650 fps from his with loads as hot as he cares to shoot, so supersonic it ain't!
-but with thime we may be able to get a better idea of pressure tolerances for these little guys.
(He also has the .454, so he can go BOOM if he wants.)

But for up close and personal, I'd feel fine.

In other words, I'll race you to it!

youngun

Yes, my Taurus 617T has the rubber ribbed grip and the porting. I will continue to research the Taurus 450 45 Long Colt as a possible purchase. The ammo seems to be expensive, about 50 cents per round.

Right now I find revolvers more attractive as possible purchases than the autos presently available. I already have a number of each in different sizes and calibres.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Drakejake

Back