Taurus 441

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloader

I have recently acquired a Taurus 441 4" .44 Special with adjustable sights. I am considering this for concealed carry. I would like the group's comments on this choice. I a presently carrying a 629 4" and am considering the Taurus because of the lighter weight. I understand I am giving up i round per cylinder, but am concernedd about reliability, problems, etc. I load with Winchester Silvertips, and would appreciate legitimate feedback. I cannot afford a S&W .44 Special at this time. Thamks to everyone in advance.

------------------

I had a model 431 for a few years. That is a 3" fixed sight in stainless. I had good luck with it and actually wanted to have it "Jazzed-up" a bit and sent it in for Mag-Na-Porting which turned out great, but they refused to do the trigger work I wanted as they have (or had) a policy against anything but porting on Taurus products. I didn't question it, just let it go and figured to find someone else to do the work. Well, I saw an ad in some gunzine for the Taurus custom shop and figured who better to do my trigger job, guess again, the revolver came back with a great trigger pull, but wouldn't ignite any primers with a DA pull. Whoever did this "Trigger Job" is certainly no Gunsmith, as all they did was a little halfa**ed polishing and cut a couple of coils off the mainspring. I sent the Revolver back with a very detailed letter explaining the problem and after a quite long time got the revolver back with no change other than a new mainspring which gave me back the original trigger action. I sold the pistol and chalked it up to experience.
I've had good Taurus products in the past and really miss a .357 I sold when I "had to have" a Semi-auto, but my .44 experience really soured me on the company.

------------------
TJS

Reloader,

I've had a 431, since they first hit the market. It replaced a Charter Arms Bulldog, that was absolutely brutal to practice with, due to it's light weight. I've melted all the sharp edges & corners which are so characteristic of the Taurus revolvers. This step made it much more comfortable for IWB carry. Although the double action pull is strong, but not overly so, it is smooth and very clean breaking. Same with SA. I use mine in the field ILO a .45Colt as it gives me a wide option of power and performance with different factory and home-rolled cartridges. I plan to someday get it hard-chromed inside and out, with NP3 or similar coatings on flexible components (springs). It's been such a good piece that it has earned its niche as a keeper.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back