Taurus 44 mag--pics anyone?

Bacchus

I'm considering a Taurus 44 (6 shot 44 magnum). Does anyone have one--what do you think of it--and can you please post pics?

Thanks.

Have you gone to the Taurus web site yet and check out what they had? I have a Taurus revolver but its not the model you want. The Tracker model I have is very nice. Shoots good, well made, good trigger and a joy to carry. Taurus makes good revolvers and autos ( so long as the autos aren't of the polymer line).

Yes, I have seen the information on their site. I really want to compare the stainless with the blued version. I'm familiar with the tracker and several of their models in 357, but I have never seen one in stainless.

A close friend of mine has one, he's had it for years but hasn't shot it a huge ammount. I think I've put more rounds through it than he has. His is one of the early "pre Raging Bull" 44's. It handles heavy loads well, 300gr @1400 easily, and shoots considerably faster than my 6" M29-2 with the same loads - generally this particular Taurus get a good 100-150fps more from the same load than my M29-2.

Single action trigger on it is excellent, light and crisp. Double action is like lifting weights. Not only is it very heavy but it's gritty as well. I'm sure it's something a gunsmith could take care of easy enough with some minor polishing, but as it came from the factory the double action trigger on this one isn't very good. For the shooting I've done with it that hasn't been a big deal, almost all of my shooting with it has been shooting at steel plates at 100 yards or more, not something you generally use double action for anyway.

Only real problem he's had with it is the ejector rod has a tendancy to work loose making it tough to open the cylinder. A drop of locktite would cure that problem. As it is I just check it before I shoot it.

Only pic I have of it is at http://www.handloads.com/images/taurus44_lg.htm

Back