Taurus 38 Ultralite

Gunfighter

I just put money down on one of these bad boys for a backup gun. It was $350 out the door. Maybe a little high but no more will be sold here in MD due to the casing law. Anyone have any experience with them.

Model 85UL?

If so, you have a fine revolver...Taurus QC is very good these days, as is Rossi's [bought by Taurus].

In terms of weight, a good intermediate step between the titanium/alloy models and the all-steel ones.

Taurus .38 Special

My wife chose a Taurus titanium .38 as her carry pistol. If the "UL" is anything like
the titanium model, you'll be very pleased. Very accurate and no problems at all.

Kentucky Rile

I just put money down on one of these bad boys for a backup gun. It was $350 out the door. Maybe a little high but no more will be sold here in MD due to the casing law. Anyone have any experience with them.

The 85UL (also called the Multi Alloy) is a fine little revolver. I've had one as my primary carry piece for about a year now. The light weight makes it difficult to leave home without it.
However, put 2 or 3 hundred rounds (not +P's) through it ASAP. Mine suffered lightstrikes initially...from what I've read (on these forums), this wasn't an uncommon occurance.
Once heavier springs were installed (under Taurus' excellent waranty), the gun was outstanding (or...outfuc?ingstanding, as we said in my Navy days).
As far as MD...keep the pressure on Curran and Glendening...and especially your local representative. Glendening really screwed up this time, but it is essential freedom loving Marylanders express their displeasure with the "fingerprinting" law.
BTW, I paid $529 for my 85...you got a great price. Where did you buy it?

I wanted the Titanium but could not swing another $150 right now. Glad to hear all the good stuff. I don't know how I will carry it at work yet, maybe an ankle rig. Hard though since I wear boots. Any ideas?

I wanted the Titanium but could not swing another $150 right now. Glad to hear all the good stuff. I don't know how I will carry it at work yet, maybe an ankle rig. Hard though since I wear boots. Any ideas?

Since you apparently live in MD, I really suggest you do not carry as it is illegal in that state, unless you have a (difficult to obtain) permit. And do not carry at work without checking into your company's policies first!
Then, you can decide on the risk of your decision.

This is a sweet gun for pocket carry with the right holster. Since you mentioned boots....you're probably wearing jeans.They (jeans) aren't too well suited for pocket holsters. In that event, an IWB holster would work (watch out the shirt or jacket doesn't ride up over the butt of the gun when you lean over though). You may also look into the Barami Hipgrip which replaces the factory grips with a grip that clips over your waistband (gun would be inside the waist band).

I do suggest you lobby your representative for "shall issue" CCW permits. Do this with vigor!

Ezeckial- I am a sworn peace officer currently assigned to Special Operations and a part time SWAT officer. This notwithstanding even before I was a cop I carried whenever possible. I will not let a bull**** law get me or my lovedones killed. And I still do push for civilian concealed carry. I wear jeans, dress pants and uniform pants at work. So I guess I have to come up with various carry methods. I decided I needed a backup when during qualification last fall the extractor on my Glock 19 broke. This was bad medicine that on the street would have left me dead in the water until/if I could get to my cruiser to get my Moss 590 12 ga.

I have carried a 85UL in the past and liked it very much. I would suggest you don’t shoot +P for practice as, it will loosen up you lockup.

Cool! Nice gun! So you got the Alumnium version? What finish did you get? Ported? Hammer or hammerless?
I have a Total Titanium Model 85 and a Stainless Model 85. I really like both of them alot. They make great carry guns as well. I use a Uncle Mikes belt holster.
Here is a pic of my Model 85s...

my2taurus38s.jpg

Lightsped and Gunfighter

Lightsped!!! You did it again!!
Every time you post that picture of that beautiful "stealth gray" 85, I want to run screaming to the gun shop. That's the best color. (And the color I'm going to get!)

Gunfighter:
I guess that there's a big premium for living in that part of the country. $150.00 more for the titanium model?? I went and got our checkbook to make sure, but we only paid $378.00 for Nancy's Taurus Total Ti at our regular gun shop here in Kentucky.

Will

Wife paid $389.30 for the hammerless Titanium ported (better known as the Police model) plus a box of cartridges at Ft. Wayne Gun Show. So $379ish with tax for the gun is about right. This is the hammerless which I think is more expensive than the Titanium with the hammer.

Lightsped

Alright. That's it. I'm a weak man when it comes to beautiful pistols. I'm going to buy a new "stealth gray" titanium 85 and blame it on YOU. :)
YOU can explain to Nancy just why you talked me into getting it now. I'll just sit back and drool! :) HAHAHA!!!

Kentucky Rifle

Back