Taurus 38 Spl

pwc

What is the model number for this revolver? I know the caliber, the barrel length but the model is COMUM? Also says ACABAMENTO: OXID.

Shoots single action very well, but in DA if the trigger doesn't return all the way between shots, pulling the trigger will cause the hand to rotate the cyclinder, but not draw the hammer back. Guesses?

Any help is appreciated, especiall on the model. Thanks ahead of time.

I don't know if it is the same for every Taurus revolver, but I would expect it to be. On my Taurus, the model number is stamped on the frame, underneath the cylinder crane. Mine says "83", meaning a model 83.

My Taurus 605 has the model on the left side frame under the cylinder.

large.jpg

@jar: Well, I was wrong again. The model number location is not the same for all Taurus revolvers. It looks like the only general rule you can make about firearms is: "You can't make a general rule." There are always exceptions.

Per Buckeye's request I've attched 2 pics. Inside it looks like a S&W, so in 1968 Taurus and S&W may have already become sister companies under the overhead owning co. (don't remember it name)

Attachments

• Taurus right.jpg
    Taurus right.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Taurus left.jpg
    Taurus left.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 120
Per Buckeye's request I've attched 2 pics. Inside it looks like a S&W, so in 1968 Taurus and S&W may have already become sister companies under the overhead owning co. (don't remember it name)
A early Model 80 ,I owned one back in the day ... Mine was a great revolver

Last edited:
---delete, read the rest of the thread---

Oh, that's an old one.

Good luck with that. That pre-dates Taurus USA (imported by FIE, back in the day), and you won't be able to get service from them.

What is the model number for this revolver? I know the caliber, the barrel length but the model is COMUM? Also says ACABAMENTO: OXID.

Shoots single action very well, but in DA if the trigger doesn't return all the way between shots, pulling the trigger will cause the hand to rotate the cyclinder, but not draw the hammer back. Guesses?

Any help is appreciated, especiall on the model. Thanks ahead of time.
82, used to have one..great shooter but needed a take apart and clean/lube before it would stop jamming. Son has a '65', .38/357..

Not a bad looking older Taurus. My first handgun was a mid 80s Model 66 6". I sold it because I really wanted a glock and couldn't afford one and have regretted it ever since. I carry a new M85 now and its not fancy but its been a great gun for $215 on sale.

I've owned three Taurus revolvers in the past. in the 90's it was a DAO stainless model 85 and a blued standard model 85; both were great guns. in the early 2000s I bought a CIA 850 that was also a great gun. I cannot recommend anything current because I have little experience with the new guns and one few that I have handled or know of from others were problematic.

I never had luck with them. The ones i owned spent more time back at the factory then on the range. I won’t buy another Taurus but others had good luck with them. Only ruger for this old guy

IbMikey said- "S&W and Taurus were never affiliated under the same parentage."

From the Taurus homepage....."In the meantime, Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies. However, during the next seven years, a great deal of technology and methodology was passed between the two. What may come as a surprise to some is that more of what was "right" in Porto Alegre was sent to Springfield than was sent from Springfield to south of the equator."

Back