Taurus 22 Revolver model 96

makarov

Thinking about getting this model 96 Taurus revolver. It is a copy of a S&W model 17. It is blued and a 6" barrel. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? It is no longer listed in the Taurus catalog. This is a used gun in good shape. Price is $200 is that a decent price? I would really like a S&W model 17, but prices are a little out of my range. Does Taurus honor the lifetime warranty on their older models as well?

Thanks

Taurus Mod 96

Yes, I have one... Bought it the day before the Brady Law went into effect (as a sort of protest). The Mod 96 was indeed Taurus' answer to the S&W Mod 17. It is an fine accuracy piece. Mine came with a factory-shot target with a .60" group at 25 meters! (from a machine rest)

I had a Ruger Mk II but it was a pain in the thumbs to load. Likewise I once had a Single-Six but I found the SA load/unloading to be a drag. I wanted to get a .22 DA revolver to plink with, and I kinda wanted something with a longer barrel than the Mod 94 (?). Mine will now be used to introduce my wife to the shooting sports (she's never fired a 'real' gun).

New mine cost $225 back in whatever-year-that-was (Brady Law). If you found one for $200, and it looks to be in good condition, go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed! And yes, Taurus's lifetime warranty means lifetime, not just as long as it is in current production!

Enjoy!

Yes great gun and yes they will honor the warrenty. Bought mine used and it went out of time for some reason. Sent it back and it was repaired quickly and at no cost. If you dont like the wood grips there are Pacmyres (sp) that fit it that are much slimmer than the factory ones. Lots of fun and it will shoot just about anything well you feed it. Enjoy yur new toy.

Thanks. Will grips for the S&W interchange with it? I'm wondering how exactly they copied the design. It sure looks similar.

I bought one used and it has one of the best trigger pulls I've ever felt. I took it to the range and could'nt hit squat. Upon closer inspection, there was a 'ding' on the crown of the barrel. When I called Taurus, they said 'no problem, send it in'. I'm expecting it back any day now. They stand by the warranty even when you buy it used.

Back