Tasco ProPoint: Rings = Garbage?

ThomasH

Hello all.

Part of my amazing Xmas haul was a nice Tasco ProPoint PDP3, a 30mm "red-dot" sight I'll be using on my S&W 686.

Included with the sight are two 30mm rings to fit a "weaver style" base. But the quality of the rings seems almost unbelievably low. They don't come close to "closing" around the sight, and have one screw per side. The screw holes are very "thinly" threaded, and the screws don't fit smoothly. One set was useless, as the screws "popped" out of the threads as soon as I tightened the one on the other side. Compared to the rings Ruger supplied for my .22 pistol, these are "garbage"! :)

They are supposedly mailing me a new ring for the useless one, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, and if I have the option of buying other 30mm weaver style rings of higher quality from someone else and using those instead?

[This message has been edited by ThomasH (edited 12-30-98).]

Definitely go out and buy some quality rings. Otherwise the first time you shoot you may end up watching that new red dot scope go flying after having the cheap quality rings part ways. Nothing says that you have to use any junk material when it is supplied. While you're getting rings make sure you pick up a spare battery also as Murphy's Law states that the battery will go out when you are 50 miles from the nearest available supply.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-30-98).]

Thanks for the reply fal308! Does anyone else think the supplied rings are of terrible quality?

Any brands or suppliers recommended? I didn't see 30mm rings listed on most Web pages, and my local dealer hates ordering stuff (whole different topic).

I notice that the ProPoint and the single battery Photon Micro-Light IIs take the same 2032 battery! (Although I'm more likely to take them out of the red-dot and put them in the Micro-Light II!) Good reason for putting a couple of Photon's in the gun case, eh?

Thomas
Rings come in two flavors-steel and aluminuim. I'm sure the original rings you received were alum. You may want to try some steel rings. Some other mfgrs of rings include Leupold, Burris, Swarvoski just to name a few. Try www.blshooters.com for a pretty good link to mfgrs.

Back