Tasco Optima questions

swampy

I've been think about putting an Optima on a semi-auto. In researching, two differnt ways to mount are advocated. The easiest is to buy a mount that fits the slide dovetail. However, the other group says that the Optima doesn't have adequate elevation and windage adjustments when done this way. They say the slide should be machined so that the sight is fitted low into the slide. The objective seems to be to have the Optima dot just above the front sight for a sight picture. Thus, the front sight serves to index and if the battery goes dead the Optima acts as a giant ghost ring. Also, since it sits low, windage and elevation adjustments are much improved. Have those of you that have used the dovetail mount experienced undesirable limitations on elevation and windage adjustments? Or, does the machining recommendations appear to be a solution to a existing problem? Has anyone machined the slide to fit an Optima low? How much machining is required, and what does a gunsmith charge for this? Does the machining impose restrictions on which pistols to choose, and if so what is the critical criteria to investigate? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Swampy:
I have just recently installed a Optima on my full size Kimber using a EGW dovetail mount. The only thing that I had to do was to place a .015 shim under the rear sight. This put the dot right in the middle of it's elevation adjustment range. No problems with windage at all. After installation of the sight I sat down and put 600 rounds of mid range target ammo through the gun in an attempt to test the sight to see if it would hold up. The sight is still working perfectly fine and has shown no loss of zero or other problems....45Fan

------------------
NRA Life Member
IDPA FL AO6743

[This message has been edited by 45 Fan (edited March 26, 2000).]

The "EGW dovetail mount", does this replace the standard Kimber rear target sight without having to re-machine the dovetail? Where can I get one?
I am impressed with the idea of the Optima sight, I don't like the looks of the frame-style scope mounts for the model 1911, and mounting a typical reddot sight directly to the slide doesn't seem to be the correct thing to do if you still want to shoot any kind of factory ammo.

Chris:
The EGW mount directly replaces the Kimber rear sight with no fitting involved. Brownells carries this mount for both fixed and adjustable sighted Kimbers. The mount costs approx. $40 + s/h. I absolutely love mine, and as a side benefit you will get to see how truly accurate a stock Kimber is (25yds, rested, 10 shot string-100/8X). Good shooting.....45Fan

------------------
NRA Life Member
IDPA FL AO6743

Back