Tasco Optima 2000

J33Nelson

I am looking to mount the Tasco Optima 2000 sight on my Sig Pro 2034. I was just wondering what the experts on this site opinions are on that?? Some questions you could answer for me...

1) Is it a good idea to mount the Tasco Optima 2000 on my Sig and why??

2) Is there a better site out there for my sig??

3) Does anyone use or has used the Tasco Optima 2000 and what do you think of it??

Thanks in advance.

Sig.357

i'm no expert but i play one in my mind

I have a Optima on my Glock 21. It is a fun little toy. Aquisition is fast and it holds a zero well. You did not state how the pistol will be used. For informal or formal (where rules permit) target shooting it is a good sight and priced very reasonably. For defensive purposes though, most will say electronic sights are not the way to go and I agree. To keep the thing off and the battery from running down you must keep the cover on. An assailant is not gonna wait for you to remove the cover on your sight before doing you the harm he/she intends. Also, in low light conditions I find that bright red dot to be a little distracting. Finally, for a handgun you intend to use for self defence, the KISS principle should be employed.

i've got a couple of them one small dot and one of the larger ones..They are a play gun toy..They work but i would not bet my life on one of them..Too fragile...When you change the battery you have to rezero the whole thing from scratch. i've got one on a glock 17Long slide and one double decked on top of a 3X9 scope that i'm working on as a part of my 3gun rig....if the sig is a gun that you will grab in a pinch leave it as is or maybe go with night sights. but like i say if it is a gun that you only play with at the range then go with whats fun and the dots are definitely fun. i've often said--the dots will turn a good shot into a great shot and a poor shooter will get better....PS--i think Midway has them for less than 130.00 and that includes a Weaver Base type mount...Others are extra

Botach Tactical has the cheapest price at $119.

I installed a Tasco Optima 2000 with a Jack Weigand Combat mount to my Ruger Mark II. Since the slide doesn't move on the Ruger Mark II, I don't have the same concerns as a pistol that goes in and out of battery with great force such as a Glock. The sight works great, the dot is easily visible and makes the Ruger Mark II accurate to the point that all shots place within the diameter of a dime.

The sight has no "on or off" switch and is activiated only when you remove its protective cover and it is exposed to light. Hence, unless you replace the battery every couple of weeks, it wouldn't make a good sight for defensive carry since you'd have to carry it without the protective cover causing its illumination at all time.

However, I have thought about using this particular sight for my Glock 29. I could conduct experiments to see how long each battery lasts and make sure to change the battery within its lifespan. However, in the event of failure of the Optima Sight, you could still use the pistol for "point" shooting at close range. Also, you could still use the Optima sight's viewing window to center your weapon's front sight: place the front sight on your target and in the middle of the view window of the Optima and you now have back-up sights. I think that this combination would be extremely practical if you installed an Ashley Express Big Dot Tritium Sight on the front of your weapon. The Ashley combined with the sight window of the Optima would give you a combat backup sight. :)

I have one mounted on my Sig 220. It has worked flawlessly up to this point and I find it easy to use and acquire on the Sig. The cover can be removed easily and I am able to do it with my thumb very quickly . It would not work in fast draw contests but other trhan that should pose no problems on the Sig.

Another Optima 2000 on my 1911 has given me a few problems, one time the battery contact came loose and I had to adjust it. Another time one of the screws came loose during a range session. Both problems were quickly fixed. I recommend using the removeable loctite on the two screws that hold the sight to the base.

Both of my sights have the 3.5 dot, and I have only used them indoors so far. I plan to put one on my Sig Hammerli trailside soon.

The sig base will need to be fitted by a gunsmith, as the dovetail on mine had to be reduced to fit in the sig rear sight dovetail.

Geoff Ross

Back