Tasco Opinions

HarryB

I need some feedback as to the quality of Tasco's scopes. Unfortunately with the shhoters around me the opinion is mixed. The negative seems to be based on hearsy rather than actual experience. The word on their dot sights is quite good though...

I have a World Class 3X9X40 on by 10/22T and a High Country AO on my 10/22M. Both of them have never given me any problems. I really don't know if 22's are a good benchmark for scopes since there is very little recoil. I don't know if I would put one on my Contender or Super Redhawk.

HarryB,

I've had Tasco scopes on nearly every rifle I've owned for the last 20 years - 22LR thru 7mm Magnum. I've never had a bad one. It's not a pure cost thing these days, I can afford anything I want, but I hate to waste bucks on something that gives no advantage.

They are sharp and clear and hold their zero. I've shot many sub 1/2MOA groups with various rifles using Tasco scopes. Leupolds are obviously nicer (I've had, and still have, a few on my nicer guns for purely aesthetic value) and the price reflects it but they are not enough better to offset the price difference for the average shooter.

Tasco has a lifetime guarantee and I believe you will like them.

Mikey

I feel good then. Midway has a Tasco Big Horn 2.5x10AO 50mm for only 144! This is about half the price I have seen it elsewhere. It is on the way...

When they first started, Tasco had nothing but cheap junk (50's - '60's). Then their QC started improving, and their optics improved. Now their products are right up there with the best. They don't match Leupold or Swarovski or other high end stuff, but you don't pay that much for them either and they are very good. With Sw., you pay more for what you get, but with Tasco, you get more than you paid for.

I have a couple of their Propoint dot sights on several guns: a S&W 41 .22lr, a model 19 S&W, and a Ruger mini-14. They are the BEST dotsights for the money...I've seen the Propint 2's and 3's for less than 80 bucks. So far they have kept zero and have been 100 percent reliable. granted, they don't have the same robust characteristics of the Aimpoint mounted on one of my ARs, but you can own 4-5 Tascos for 1 Aimpoint.

how can anyone be dissapointed for that price?

I can only relate to the Japanese made Tasco scopes. I have two. One is a 4x32 $29.95 special that I have had for years. Works fine. I have a 3x9 World class that is outstanding. It is as bright as anu Nikon, or Leupold I own. Neither one has ever given me trouble. Now I see the lower priced Tasco's are made in China. The World classes in the Phillipines. I don't know how good they are, but a friend I corrspond with has a Tasco 3x9 Pronghorn that has serious parallex problems. I don't guess I'll buy one of those.
Paul B.

I have 3 Tasco scopes, and had a pair of binocs. I gave the binocs to my club's yard sale on the condition they sold them to no one I knew. :) The 8-32X scope is ok - I'm not sure that light moves at 186,000 mps thru it, and its a bit foggy, but ok. One of the others broke (it rattled when shaken!) at the third shot on my .308. Tasco replaced it for $10. They assured me that was NOT a fee, but just to make expenses... The other one was NFG right oughta the box, and I E-mailed and hollered so loud over their phone that they sent me a new one. No $10 non-fee. I don't think I'll ever buy another, although both the replacement scopes work ok... At that, come to think of it, Sightron replaced a scope that I considered foggy (tho they said it checked out ok) with another one that was just as bad. So I'd buy Tasco before Sightron, because at least Tasco's replacements work! my .02 worth...

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...

I have a friend who spent years in the wilds of Alaska. He said that the only brand of scope that wouldn't fog internally under those extreme conditions was Leupolds. I have a Weaver on a 10/22 which I use for timed competition and have had good results. I have a couple of Tasco's and "just don't like them." The main dislike is the small length of field of view behind the scope. This might be "in my head" but it's my two cents. I won't buy a Tasco unless it's on a gun I buy. Leupolds all the way (if I have the money)

Tascos can sure keep some money in your wallet, but I chose to purchase a Leupold because of their track record and warranty from http://www.swfa.com . One thing I really like about Leupold is the fact they honor their warranty no matter who bought it. I could sell it to a friend and he would still have the life-time warranty.

I think Tasco's quality is low, and their customer service is poor, from my limited experience.

I was given a Tasco ProPoint 3 for Xmas in 1998, that was supposed to fit a "Weaver style" mount on my S&W 686 revolver.

The rings provided were _junk_. Horrible machining of the holes and threads. Overly light, weak aluminum. One hole had almost no threads whatsoever. The rings didn't mate well. They also didn't fit the ProPoint very well, when wrapped around the sight, you could barely get the allen screws to "catch". And they mounted 1 cm off center on the "purchased from Weaver" mount!

When I called Tasco Customer Service, they were "well aware" of these problems, and were willing to send me another set of garbage rings for free, but their comment about the off center mounting was that they hear about it all the time, but usually if you buy a _Tasco_ weaver style mount it helps! Oh, thanks a lot.

Then the weeks started to go by, while I waited for the replacement rings. When calling to check on my parts, they admitted that they have "no idea when my parts might ship", that Tasco is a huge company, and everything ships when it can. That my "replacement for new defective parts" is in a huge queue of all of Tasco shipments, broken cameras, repaired binoculars, salesmen samples for new products, etc.

I wisely gave up on Tasco Customer Service and bought some very nice Millet rings from a mail order house. Beautifully made, solid, snug, and they fit centered on the Weaver mount.

Three months after I notified Tasco about the defective rings, I did finally receive another set, which were almost as bad as the ones I could not use (they did had some threads in every hole). I surmise these rings are being made in China, by the way. I never seen metal items made this badly, except from China.

And the rst of the sight seems poorly machined, as well. It works fine, but all the threads are sharp and rough. It is difficult to get the battery cover back on for this reason, for example. It doesn't seem sturdily made in any respect.

My only experience, but after talking to the folks on the phone, I don't think it is unusual.

Thomas

[This message has been edited by ThomasH (edited June 26, 1999).]

I bought a Tasco several years ago - I don't recall the model but it was fixed 4x scope for my sons .223. I figured why spend a lot for a kids gun that I wouldn't allow to use on game beyond 100 yards...?
On the FIRST shot, the seals broke and it fogged instantly and the reticles dropped out of the picture.
I couldn't return it because I pulled it off the rifle and wrapped it around a tree.
Over the years, family members have given me various cheap Tasco binoculars as well - they all sit in my gun cabinet because the optics are garbage. They may look fine when you look around in the Sporting Goods store, but when you get out in the field where you really need definition (to look into a dark patch of alders for example), you can't make out a damned thing.
Optics (IMHO) is one of those areas where you get exactly what you pay for. Cheap optics are not a bargain.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Well I guess here just like everywhere else there are mixed opinions. I just got the Big Horn 2.5x10AO and it looks great. Will post later on results of shooting. Now to find someone with a boresighter...

Back