Tasco binoculars...any good?

Jack Straw

My dad said something to my mom recently about some binoculars he saw in a catalog; she is thinking this will be her Christmas present to him. From what mom and I can figure, he is talking about the Tasco Futura II model in a 7-21X40 configuration. Has anyone tried these (or other brands with similar features) and what do you think of them? What about zoom binoculars in general? For hunting purposes I know he will primarily be using them at a lower power setting while occasionally zooming in to get a better look at a buck's rack or a tom's beard and things of that nature. Will zooming in require him to readjust his focus?

Thanks again!

Jack

tasco

Tasco=junk! Also zoom binoculars are no good. Go to Betterviewdesired.com for good info. The bird watchers really use binoculars...

Betterviewdesired.com (BVD) really is the place to go for most questions regarding binoculars and spotting scopes. They have reviews and recommendations for various price levels.

They don't care for zoom binos at all. Their tests indicate that zoom gains nothing, since increased magnification gains no additional details at all - just bigger blurs. They recommend putting the money that would have bought the zoom capability and put it into better optical glass instead, and there are wide differences in optical glass.

Zoom also adds weight. From experience I know that anything over about 21 ounces will be at home when I need them instead of around my neck.

Zoom is just something else to break, and low price binos are more sensitive to impact than the higher priced spread.

When I looked into it last year, BVD believed that the best optics for the money are quality porro prism like Swift or Leupold Wind Rivers or similar for around $200. Comparable optics in roof prism ("H" shaped binoculars) would cost two or three times as much, but you get waterproof and more impact resistance with the roofs. They also made recommmendations for the best buys at various price points.

They're sponsored by Simpson Optics, so you'll only find a link to them. Try also Eagle Optics, my favorite, and various camera wholesale websites. Eagle, at least, leads you through the cost/performance issue and has reasonable prices.

Jaywalker

I've got a Tasco cheapie that came boxed with a 3x9 scope. Scope's fine. Binoc's junk. Then again, what can one expect for a freebie? Hopefully their higher end stuff is more than a child's toy.

Sams Club Binos

Sams club has a pair of Bausch & Lomb Hemisphere 10X40's for 65 bucks that are about the best deal in binoculars under $150.00 I bought these to loan to my Brother so i don't halve to worry about my Leica's. They are actully very nice. Rubber armor, twist up eye cups. And are as clear as binocs costing a a hundred more. If i were to only want to spent up to 200 bucks id buy these in a second.

Back