Targeting with both eyes open?

Hank Smith

I have always aimed with my left eye closed and my right eye open looking through the sights. I have seen people shoot with both eyes open and shoot accurately. Does anyone have any pointers on doing this? If I try to aim with both of eyes open the target I am aiming at becomes blurry. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hank

I try to close my left eye when I shoot, but after a couple of rounds it tends to go open but because I'm focused on looking with the right eye, I don't really notice it (my left eye will open 'bout half). It opens probably because I try to relax as many muscles as I can (less muscle tension = better shooting). I found it quite weird at first, but my instructor has the same thing.

I target shoot for fun,and to train for self defense. I am not a serious bullseye shooter.

I have been told (not trained) to always practice with both eyes open. Shoot a handgun with both eyes open. Shoot a shotgun with both eyes open. Shoot a rifle with one eye closed.

I am left handed and left eye dominant. When I take the first few shots of the day with a handgun, I have the tendency to squint with my right eye to remove the double sight picture. After a warm up I am shooting with both eyes open and ignoring the "second" image. As I continue training I expect it will become automatic to subconciously pick the correct sight picture and ignore the ghost image.

The advantages are better depth perception,better field of view. That allows better mobility and situational awareness.

Just my $.02. I'm no expert.

both eyes open

if you wear bifocals shooting and have trouble with thr front sight on rifles and pistols you may want to do what the glasses guy just talked me into. he made me a set of lenses for my shooting glasses that use my Bifocal prescription in my left eye (i am left eye dominant) and my distance prescription in my right eye. when my lenses came i was amazed-i can see the front sight crystal clear and the target is also clearer than if i was shooting through my bifocals with both eyes. he tells me this is the way some people get contacts made so they can have the best of both worlds...Dick

Do you shoot better with one hand holding the gun or two? Do you shoot better standing on one leg or two?

Do you think you would shoot better with one eye open or two?

In each of the above questions, using two hands, both legs, or both eyes gives you more control or more information on what is going on while shooting. God gave you two eyes, use them.

Back