Target shooting on public land

tpareloader

Does anyone know the rules and regulations for target shooting on public land in Florida?

Can you shoot where ever you can hunt?

Do you have to follow hunting season regs?

I live in the Tampa bay area and there are several parks nearby where hunting is allowed and I was wondering if there are any folks out there that have solved this issue. I can't seem to get a straight answer.:confused:

Don't know about FL but in my state (NH) as long as you are not within 300 ft of an occupied dwelling its legal, but I usually go much further away then that

Same here, you're allowed to shoot on any public or forest land, as long as its safe and away from inhabited buildings. Try contacting your local dept. of fish and game, or the nearest forest service. :cool:

In SC, it is NOT legal to target shoot on WMAs. I don't know about National Forest land but I think I remember reading that is in also not allowed.

I would contact the state conservation department and ask them. I know a lot of states do own public use firing ranges. If you are not sure who to check with ask yourself this:
Who is going to arrest me if I do it? Then contact them and get advice before you start. They may even know of approved public shooting ranges already set up.
Best of luck,

Uncle Buck

If you are not sure who to check with ask yourself this:
Who is going to arrest me if I do it? Then contact them and get advice before you start.

Good advice, I'll look into that. I know of a public range in Ocala, Fl that is state operated and has no range officers so its self policed but also over 200 miles away.

I just want a place that I can set up some ballistics gel targets or even just a watermelon. I'm tired of paper and I enjoy solving the age old question what would happen if I shot ____ with ____ ? You fill in the blanks.

:cool:

Not in a national park

In Tennessee you cannot shoot in a national park ... I bet it's the same in any national parks or reserves in Florida. The state of Tennessee does have at least 1 target range set up for us to use. It goes out to 300 yds with these big mo-hunkin posts set up every 50 yds to hang targets.... or milk jugs... or even melons I guess. Also, no shooting in state parks or reserves except during 'drawn' hunts.

Good advice, I'll look into that. I know of a public range in Ocala, Fl that is state operated and has no range officers so its self policed but also over 200 miles away.
Living very near the forest range you're talking about, save your gas.....I went there twice......the unsafe scenarios and some of the yahoos there would preclude me from going there again

closer to you, try the Hernando Sportsmens club, near Chasshowitska right up US 19 - they even have monthly machine gun shoots

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/

Did you ever find a place in the Tampa area?

tpareloader, did you ever end up finding a place in the Tampa area to shoot outdoors? I have seen a few outdoor ranges in Ruskin and Lakeland but I have been to them yet and I don't where else to go for outdoor shooting. If you found anything I would be interested in hearing about it.

Go Bulls! (too bad we didn't have a team when I was there).

Bureau of Land Management.

The BLM manages more public land in the U>S>A> than all the other agencies combined. Check into B.L.M. in Florida for their regs. on target shooting. It's where I shoot in Co..

One of the best outdoor ranges in the state is only about an hour away from you in eastern Manatee county. $18 for a non-member to shoot all day.

Bureau of Land Management.

The BLM manages more public land in the U>S>A> than all the other agencies combined. Check into B.L.M. in Florida for their regs. on target shooting. It's where I shoot in Co..

BLM only operates in the Western portion of the US; here in FL it's the Forest Service

Thanks for the advice

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Doyle, are you talking about Guncraft? I haven't been able to make it out there, but as soon as I get a chance I am going there.

Back