Target Scope for Savage .223?

Snyperx

I am looking at picking up a Savage Axis in .223 to get into rifle target shooting. I can't see shooting beyond 500 yards. I am looking for something in the $200 range. What magnification is ideal (3-9/4-12)? What size of objective lens (40mm/50mm)? Hoping some more experienced folks can provide some insight. Thanks.

We need to know a few more details about the kind of target shooting you wish to do in order to make the best recommendation. With a Savage Axis, I assume you are talking about informal target shooting. Some general comments. Your scope budget is not very large, but I think about right for a Savage Axis. To get experience, you need to shoot at 50, 100, and 200 yards at first. A 3-12X would be adequate, but a 4-16x might be tempting. Your budget will keep you with Simmons and Bushnell, primarily. Weavers on sale would also be good. They have decent, low priced scopes. The Bushnell Trophy 4-12x sells for less than $200. Mine has worked great for years. So has a Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-14X. For myself, I would avoid Barska, BSA, Tasco, and other traditionally cheap brands that are advertised everywhere, although some may report that they have had decent luck with some of these. You do not need a 50 mm objective for target shooting. That is mainly for hunters shooting game in the woods at sundown.

For a target scope i would want more than 9x on the high end. That said, your best bet would be a Nikon prostaff 4-12x40. I have been seeing them all over online for 170-200. The glass in that scope is much better than any of the cheap blister pack chinese scopes. You cant buy a burris, vortex, leupold etc. with 12X for that price. Weaver is also another decent possibility. I have no real experience with their new lines of scopes. I have heard the redfield revenge scopes are not as nice as the Revolution line of scopes. Im sure the Revenge scopes would be very functional to get you started though.

Last edited:
Redfield, by Leupold/owned by, is two different lines: Revenge and Revolution.
The Revenge is foreign made and the lesser of the two scopes. The Revolution is made in Oregon in the same plant as the Leupolds. (At least this is what I have read online after some research.)

I recently was scope hunting, looked at a lot of reviews and through quite a number of scopes in person. I ended up with a Redfield Revolution 3X9-50 which is outstanding for its price, $200-250ish. I actually thought that the samples which I looked through were slightly better than the Leupolds; very slightly but the counterguy and I both could see a slight difference, for way less money.

You probably don't need the 50, I am using this on a hunting rifle. But it doesn't hurt.

All that said, I would be looking for greater than 9 at the high end for a target set-up. My .223 target rifle has a Vortex with 24 for the top end; although this is out of your budget range.

Mueller has some nice optics for a reasonable price. I have a 16 top end on a target .22lr. Love this scope on this target set-up!
http://www.adorama.com/MU41650IGR.html?gclid=CPCFuOGMkL0CFcRefgodVVwAeg

Good Luck!

For $200, I would look at Vortex.

Depending on what magnification and features you ultimately decide on, they have several in your price range. They have become my go to for mid-level scopes. These two example are their two "lower end offerings" - the Crossfire II and the Diamondback. Both available in a wide range of magnifications and features.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescopes-dbk-m-04p.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-6-18x44-ao-rifle-scope.html

FWIW, I also have an Axis in .223 and the second link is the one mine is wearing. I have been more than happy with it.

OP, my 14yo son has a Mueller 4.5x14-40 APV (same scope as the APT but no target turrets) on his Marlin x7vh .223. He has zero problem shooting at 300 yards with that scope.

OP, my 14yo son has a Mueller 4.5x14-40 APV (same scope as the APT but no target turrets) on his Marlin x7vh .223. He has zero problem shooting at 300 yards with that scope.

Just placed an order for the Mueller 4.5-14x40 APT scope with low Vortex rings.

I switch back and forth on my 223. If I am Yote hunting I put the 6-24 power on it. When I go to jst plink at 500 yards I put the 8-32 power on it. The 8-32 is a Mueller. Very happy with it. Passed the box test and clarity on 32 power is still very good. Tracking is great. No such thing as over powered for Target shooting.

I just recently had a Redfield Revenge thrown on my Remington 700 .223 and I'm a huge fan so far. Clear glass, great eye relief and easily adjustable turrets. Though I'm not an optics snob. When I was asking around about my similar scope dilemma, I can't tell you how many people told me I need to be ready to spend upwards of $500 if I wanted to hit the broad side of a barn at 200 yards. Yea right.

This is the best deal going for a cheap target scope....I have 2. They aren't as good as the Leupolds and Nikons that I have but they work just fine for their intended purpose.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...mm-adjustable-objective-truplex-reticle-matte

I should mention that these scope are used for shooting at fixed distances. Once I get the windage and elevation set I don't change them unless I switch loads. The ability to track correctly is the difference between a $100-200 scope and a $500+ scope. I'm not saying that this particular scope won't track well....I've just never tried and suspect that it is best left alone.

Last edited:
Got my Mueller today and am really pleased. The quality seems excellent. Need to take it in and have it bore sighted then off to the range.

Need to take it in and have it bore sighted then off to the range.

Boresighting is pretty easy and something you can easily do yourself to save whatever $$ the shop may charge.

All you need is 75ish feet, a target, and a solid rest. Remove the bolt from the gun and look through the bore until it is centered on the target. Then, without moving the gun adjust the scope until it is also centered on the bulls eye. Then you get to the range, you will be paper.

I just had my rifle "boresighted" by the shop that sold me the scope and rings. Took 6 days AND I was 4 inches right and 3 inches high at 50 yards with the same rounds they used. Wish I would have just done it myself

I just had my rifle "boresighted" by the shop that sold me the scope and rings. Took 6 days AND I was 4 inches right and 3 inches high at 50 yards with the same rounds they used. Wish I would have just done it myself

Tactical - I don't know what they told you, but boresighting a gun does not include shooting it. If they fired rounds through it, they sighted it in fully (not very well apparently or the scope was mounted improperly and shifted). It is called "bore"-sighting because you are simply lining the bore of the barrel up with where the optics are also looking. Very rarely does boresighting result in being perfectly sighted in as a whole host of other factors come into play that determines if POA = POI. being off by 4 inches is perfectly normal for boresighting. The goal of boresighting is to be on paper so that you can dial in more easily in fewer shots.

If they really did say they boresighted it only and also told you what ammo they used, I would look around for a different shop.

Back