Target rifle/Hunting rifle

Wittel3

Inactive
Hey all, question;

Looking to buy a bolt action rifle (a tack driver at 100 yards but can put down good sized game need be) upwards of $700, obviously cheaper the better, but at the same time not looking for a rifle that falls apart after a hundred rounds if you catch my drift.

Suggestions on calibers? Manufactures? Actual models?

Right now I'm thinking of a .223 Rem through a Savage 12 FV or a Mossburg MVP. Rifles are not...that expensive, and the .223 ammo is fairly cheap (no ability to hand load rounds and on a tight budget).

Thanks all,

-Wittel

I'm confused, you say you want a rifle
upwards of $700,
, but menton $250 rifles you are looking at. What type of hunting do you have in mind?

A 223 is OK on deer sized game at close to moderate range. In the right rifle, and with good ammo it can be a tack driver, but is not suitable to
put down good sized game

For general purpose hunting a 243 is a step up and 308 will take the largest game in North America. Ammo for either is readily available in stores and is reasonably priced, although not as cheap as 223. The 260 and 7-08 are in between 243 and 308. Both are good rounds, but not available everywhere and more expensive.

There are lots of choices in rifles, but I need to understand your budget better to give advice. If you want a quality rifle avoid the disposable models such as the Mossberg and Remington 770. I'm undecided about the Axis. I know you can do better for only a slight amount more.

jmr40, by upwards of $700 I mean a price ceiling of $700. And I'm still on debate of the caliber but leaning towards the .223 Rem for sure with a close second of the .308 Win.

The Vanguard is the most rifle for the money right now if you don't mind a really heavy rifle. It will be near, or over 9 lbs with optics and mounts. You can still find the older versions in many places for around $350.

Other good options, better if you want a rifle of reasonable weight, include the Savage, Stevens, Marlin XS-7, Ruger American, and the TC Venture. In this price range I really like the TC the best. It sells for $425-$475 depending on location and they are proving to be VERY accurate. Not nearly as cheesy and cheap feeling as the others either. Fantastic triggers.

With a budget of $700 you can get a Ruger Hawkeye for around $650. This is a gun you'd be proud to pass down to the grandkids. The others are simply tools.

Any of the above.

BUT... the caveat is whether you intend to do much customization, or accurizing with a gunsmith down the road.

Aftermarket accessories are weighted very heavily to the Remington 700 and Savage firearms. Those are our preferences for that reason.

Caliber is going to depend on what game you intend to hunt, and at what distances.

If you're going to shoot groups, you should consider a Varmint contour barrel. Heavier barrels don't heat up under the faster/heavier round counts usually associated with target shooting and generally shoot tighter when they heat up.

I bought the Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308 for target and deer hunting. I really like the shorter 20" barrel, easy to maneuver around in the deer stands. The bull barrel makes for an extremely accurate rifle. I think it is one of most accurate rifles for under $1000, you can buy this gun for around $600. I also really like the Hogue stock and adjustable trigger. I thought it would be a little heavy, but it is definitely not too heavy for hunting, to me, it is just right for hunting. I highly recommend this one.

If hunting is really in your thoughts, I'd go with something bigger than 223. A/308 would be a much better choice.

Back