Target Loads vs. Field Loads for Dove?

I have used field loads, target loads, heavy dove loads, game loads, reloads, and what I have found mostly is it simply doesn't matter, if I put the bird in the pattern in falls out of the sky. I even quit reloading most shotgun shells because the saving just weren't in it anymore, and buy the cheap walmart loads just before dove season, seem to kill doves and break clays just fine. If I was a competitive shooter I might be more concerned but aside from the cost, well I'm just not that good of a shotgun shot.

Yes, but they are more expensive. They use the same powder and shot load but have better shot cups and wads so you get better patterns.

Over the long run, take the time and trouble, spend some money, and pattern your shotgun with different loads. An even pattern, without "holidays" for a bird to fly through, is your best deal.

As far as "power", most any light load with #8 will do just fine, unless it's longer range pass shooting out at 35 or 40 yards. That's when I use high-brass 7-1/2 "shoulder thumpers". :)

Pointing the shotgun correctly matters more than whats coming out the bore. I used to shoot ounce and a quarter high velocity loads cause I though that was needed. What I really needed was to learn how to shoot a shotgun. I learned well and now I shoot my 7/8 oz 1200 fps skeet reloads. Last seasons opener I shot and picked up 15 birds with 17 shells. We hunters tend to put too much importance on the wrong things.

LSnSC nailed it..........

Way back, like 40 YEARS ago, I remember my dad, who a FRUGAL!, would buy the Canuck cheapies for his 12ga while I spent a little more on Remington Sure Shots for my 20ga.

Dad ALWAYS out shot me by a bunch......because he could shoot.

Back