Target barrel question

Osuvet85

Got the itch for a .17 HMR, looking at the Savage 93 model. One comes with a regular barrel and Bushnell scope included, the other is a heavy barrel without optics. Price is about the same. What is the advantage of the heavy barrel? Thanks in advance.

Generally a heavy barrel will be more accurate for longer shot strings before starting to heat up and move around

It won't necessarily be more accurate than a light profile for the first few shots

The extra weight reduces recoil, and often helps hold the rifle steady

If you plan to carry it a lot, the light barrel will probably be better

If you intend to hunt in ways that don't require you to carry the gun as much, or you just want it for target shooting, then heavy would be the way to go.

If you can handle them both before you buy, it will be easier to decide, since the balance will be quite different

I and many others have shot lightweight skinny barrels three to four times a minute for twenty to thirty shots. No point of impact change through 1000 yards observed. Same with heavy, fat barrels.

Properly stress relieved and fit barrels don't walk shots when they heat up. Even skinny ones in M14 or M1 Garands shot 24 times in 50 seconds and put all shots within 2 to 3 inches from point of aim at 600 yards.

Barrels fit to out of square receiver faces are notorious for walking shots as they heat up. A common thing with commercial actions. I've never heard of a good barrel properly fit to properly prepped receivers walk shots away from point of a as both heat up.

The only advantage of heavy barrels is they're easier to hold steady and move less in recoil. Both contribute to being easier to shoot more precisely. Their inheirant accuracy is equal if made to the same bore and groove specs.

Last edited:
The tiny bore and relatively low velocity of the 17 HMR means you don't gain much (anything) with the HB. I don't know how much you'd have to shoot to heat the barrel but I don't think you can manage that with a bolt action and 10 shot mag.
I shoot a Ruger 77/17 with a very thin contour barrel. Dime sized 3 shot 100 yard groups are normal with the occasional clover leaf using a 3-9x scope and plain sand bags.
I see no need or advantage of a HB with such a small round as the 17 HMR .

Back