tanned hide

tahoe2

I picked up my tanned Fallow hide today at the taxidermy, and he took us into the backroom to see some of his work.
He had the usual deer heads and a couple elk, a Billy goat and a Dall sheep, then I came face to face with a 6' upright Black Bear (stuffed of course)
and even dead, it was one of the most intimidating moments, I have ever had. :eek:
He was probably 350-400 lbs and was certainly impressive, now I really want one!!

You live in the right area for one. Heavy concentration of black bear in the foothills of the Cascades. Look for pubic hunting areas with good food sources. Blackberry patches, cherries, apples, after the salmon start running stay closer to the rivers. The Green, Cedar, and Carbon rivers have good runs and bear habitat nearby. Or put in for the spring permits on one of the timber companies land.

Years ago, I shot a black bear and had it tanned and turned into a rug. I loved it, especially taking a nap on it in front of the fire. My buddies were jealous. However, the love was not unanimous. My wife didn't like it (smelled funny, ya know), and my dogs went berserk around it. So I rolled it up and put it in the closet for several years, then when I got a divorce I sold it to a friend. So go ahead, just be ready to accept that it may not get the love it deserves.

Back