"Tanker" Garand

Rusty S

Have a Fed Ord 30-06 tanker I bought just before they went out of business. Can they handle only ball and PMC soft point ( downloaded to ball specs )or can they handle any standard civilian pressure rounds? Maybe 125 gr. bullets?

Anyone having had experience with the tankers, Fed Ord or not, what do you think of them? Had it saved for something to play with, but wondered if I ought to be aware of anything first.

Does your op rod rub (at an angle) the gas cylinder? If so, it will destroy the gas cylinder. Rather than fabricate new op rods when they produced the Tanker, Fed Ord just shortened the existing one. Sorry to give you the bad news but I wouldn't put money on Tanker's longevity.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Don't know. Had probs. first time I took it out, ended up with a case (loose) still in the chamber with no primer left, but a primer pocket I could seat a shotshell primer in. It was a commercial sporting load, Winchester I think, and I was told they were the softest cases of the big 3 ( Rem/Win/Fed ). Probably my fault for not shooting ball spec ammo.

Sent it back to Fed Ord, got it back with a list of things done to it, including a new op rod put in. Within a month I found out they'd gone out of business.

Can the rod in there be tweaked by a decent armorer? If not, does anybody make a replacement rod or rod/cylinder assembly correctly set up for the Tanker?

I've a Garand set up w/ NM barrel, and a MIA, but I'm 5'4" tall, and the shorty tanker is copacetic with me.

Back