Tanfoglio ????

k in AR

Has anyone shot / had experience with a Tanfoglio pistol?
(Sure hope I got that name spelled right)

My local gun shop has 3 of them (SS 45, Blued 40, SS 9MM).
They look great & seem very well built, but the price tag is only mid 300. Should I look closer or keep my wallet in my pocket? Thanks, k

The Tanfoglio pistols (also sold as the EAA Witness) are well-made CZ-75 clones. They're good performers, available in several good calibers, and very inexpensive. One of the few drawbacks of the Tanfoglio/Witness is the high weight of the all-steel models, but they're mild shooters because of it.

Take it from this Bradley County AR native, the Tanfoglio's usually need additional throating and polishing to be relaible. I had a Witness Compact in .40 Caliber that had to be sent back for throating. The accuracy was good and it was a mild shooter with a factory comp job.

Check the angle from the mag follower to the feed ramp of the barrel. If it is steep, beware. Bear in mid for a hundred or more plus tax, you can be set with a Glock.

BTW, you know the AR State Troopers left Sig and went to the Glock Side with the 21's and as an option the 35's don't you?

I have a 45 Witness, and it has worked great right out of the box. I have factory, pro mag, and mec-gar aftermarket mags for it and they all work great. I shoot lead reloads, FMJ, and Wolf ammo out of it with no problems at all. It is one of the best 300 dollar bills I have ever spent.

If you can compare a Tanfoglio side by side with a CZ, do it! The fit finish and overall workmanship on all of the CZ's I've handled, compared right next to the EAA witnesses I've handled have justified the extra money for the CZ.
CZ 75b's were selling at last weeks gun show for $359.00. My own personal opinion, based on what else is being sold today, is that the CZ75b is underpriced but around $100.00.
Every EAA(Tanfoglio) product I've seen has been priced at exactly what they are worth. This is by no means to say the Tanfoglios aren't decent guns. I have a Tanfoglio made FIE, which is the Tanfoglio GT-380. It is an exceptional shooter and utterly reliable. So much so that I literlly stake my life on it as a HD gun from time to time. Yes, it reqired a bit of work with 1600 grit wet/dry to get it to feed hollow points, but it was a minor, albeit tedious job. (side note: I also HAD, with the emphasis on had, a Walther PPK in .380. I sold the Walther and kept the FIE. I liked it that much better.)
If you can possilby swing the CZ, it's a far better value. If not, the Tanfoglio line is a solid working class line. If resale is a possibility, then the CZ is a given. The Tanfoglios turn from a solid working gun to a piece of junk when the seller turns to buyer and vice versa.

My compact 10mm Witness is my constant companion. As stated by lendringser above, it's a real pussycat to shoot - and mine is not ported. I would definitely recommend the Tanfoglio. However, go with the Wonderfinish, not blued.

Plus, they're caliber convertible for not much money.

Back