Tanfoglio TZ75 9mm

TreeWeasel

Inactive
Hey I got another question for you guys. Anyone have any experience with the tanfoglio tz75 or tanfoglio guns in general? What's good what's not, and any tips would be appreciated. Hey I know this is the second semi-obscure 9-mil question in as many days, but my friend's dad needed room in his vast armory so he generously bequeathed the TZ75 on his son (he's a lurker here).

Yeah - the TZ-75 was my First Privately Owned Centerfire Auto. It was a smooth 9mm that was a better gun than I was a gunner back then...

It was accurate and reliable.
It did however HATE my handloads... My loads were way to hot... trying to make major catagory with the regular 9 is not advisable... Oh - I did... but I was backing out primers and cracking cases and failing to exctract.

The gun is basically a CZ-75... One of the best on the planet.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Own three Tanfoglios (EAA's) and a shooting buddy has an original TZ with the 41AE conversion.

Love my EAA 9's; looking forward to acquiring a 10mm version.
A "BUY" if you don't want to spend a big bag of cash (but you might have to spend some to make it 'perfect').

ps slug the barrel

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Have a matte chrome one. (I think that's the finish.) 9mm.

A very roughly finished gun (interior). Okay on the outside. The frame's slide rails on mine still have the milling burrs on them. (As I have stated before in other posts, you couldn't run your finger down the rail without cutting it.)

Somewhat heavy due to the all steel frame but this helps with recoil. Slide to frame fit is a little loose but the slide to barrel is very solid. This makes the pistol, at least mine, very accurate, at least as accurate as my SIG226 I shoot with. The trigger is long and very gritty in the first 2/3 of travel but not too heavy (can be fixed). Safety-ON is a bit stiff but Safety-OFF is easy. Mag release is very light if maybe too light.

The grip is very comfortable in my hand, about as well fitting as the HiPower and the 226. The slick grip panels could be textured for a better grip but they're OK for now.

Doesn't look as good as my CZ but gets the job done just as well. Overall, one of the best $275 I spent ('89/'90 dollars). It's a keeper.

- Ron V.

------------------

Treeweasel, my first 9x19 (.355 bore) was wildly inaccurate. Load development did NOTHING!

So I lubed the bore and pushed a soft .41 lead ball through the barrel and measured the 'ball'. It measured .358!

Driving a soft oversized lead ball through a barrel and measuring it is called "slugging the barrel". It tells you the exact true bore diameter.
I was pushing .355 and .356 bullets down a barrel that was .358, so the bullets were NOT filling the bore correctly.

Ideally (but NOT ALWAYS) the best performance will come with a bullet sized to exact bore (or +.001") diameter.

ps I had AP&W hard-fit a Nowlin match barrel. Gun shoots 1" groups all day long.....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Back