Taming the 300?

smoney

I have a T/C encore in 300 win mag. It has plenty of kick, being light. I have this problem with the scope hitting the bridge of my nose(luckily its Rubber armored). its a tasco(let the flames begin) and i don't think it has enough eye releaf. I was wondering if there was an aftermarket compensator that i could install in my gun. Threading the barrel won't be a problem. Any info will be greatly appreciated as i am not an extremely avid rifle shooter.

"American Shooter" on TNN this weekend commented on a recoil-absorbing mechanism to be installed in the butt of a rifle or shotgun stock to reduce felt-recoil. Not owning a shoulder-beater, I didn't pay much attention, but I think it's from Pachmyr, for around $120.

You can get the muzzle area drilled as a brake, which will reduce vertical muzzle jump. The noise-level can become atrocious, and the rearward recoil won't be reduced all that much.

Good luck.

I had the same problem with my Winchester Model 70 when I first got it. I thought about putting a suppressor on but decided not to. I got a recoil pad and stock cover with a small comb raising kit from Bear Tooth Products that made the rifle real comfortable to shoot and reduced the felt recoil of the rifle. I can throw rounds down accurately all day now. It may be psychological but groupings at 300yds average 1-1/2 to 2 MOA with a 3x9 scope.
www.beartoothproducts.com

JMHO,
WinMag

smoney, you must be a born shooter, having a rubber armored nose and all! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

If you are shooting off a bench, you're usually forced to be a little closer to the scope than when shooting off-hand, for example. If this is the case, try putting something between you and the butt of the rifle. Lot's of people have found a 25 lb bag of lead shot to be ideal.

If you're always being hit, then you should be looking into a different scope, so to speak.

The add on recoil reducers don't do much . A good Muzzle brake will tame it down pretty well. You should be able to pick up a good one from Brownells

Although I'm in a totally different world of recoil from you with my Sendero, I do load it heavy and hot, and adjusted the mounts and the scope within the rings so that I simply cannot "creep" enough to smack myself. I actually have to push forward a tad to get a full view, and that's the way (uh huh, unh huh) I like it; zero chance of a butterfly on the brow at day's end. You may want to reexamine your mounts or the mounting of the rings on the scope, to provide you more relief. If the eye relief is wrong, then hey! You get to upgrade your scope! If you don't have a lighter-kicking rifle to put your current scope on, then looky there! The opportunity to buy a new .223!

Problems are merely opportunities... :)

L.P.

I have a couple of Remington 700's in 300 WinMag. I ALWAYS use a Past recoil pad when shooting either one.

I also have a VIAS muzzle brake installed on one and it works GREAT :)

I can shoot either one all day with no problem (I'm an average/big sized guy...6'1" @ 200 lbs.)

I use Leupold scopes because among other things they provide decent eye relief.

Shot a model 70 in 300 mag. for a few years and I am a small man. When shooting off the bench I used a peice of foam out of a old life vest. Worked really well and I was able to shoot all I wanted with no soreness.

What Gale McMillan said. MagnaPorting helps a lot and the only other thing I would add is a Pachmayr Decellerator rubber butt. I don't care for those in-stock recoil reducers because of the weight penalty. MagnaPorting and a rubber butt will give you a easier to handle rifle without the extra load.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back