Talon 30-06 M2 Ball review

TTed

Inactive
I bought some Talon 30-06 M2 Ball from Claflin Cartridge and just had a chance to try it out at the range yesterday. I was VERY IMPRESSED with the quality. For those of you who don't know, Talon has a contract with the US government to demill surplus ammunition. They remanufacture 30-06 and 7.62 ammo by deassembling the ammo, testing the powder for quality, removing the original primers, then reassembling the ammo with new primers. All the ammo I got was Lake City headstamped with dates from the late 60s to early 70s. The bullets are USGI 150 gr FMJBT, lead core, copper plated steel jackets. I shot about 30 rounds through my M1 Garand, which has been match conditioned and here are the results. I first chronographed 5 rounds and the muzzle velocity ranged from 2650 fps to about 2725 fps (I don't have the printout in front of me so I can't recite the exact figures). From a benchrest, I was shooting 1.25" groups at 100 yards., including one perfect three shot cloverleaf group in the center of the bullseye that measured 1/2" across. I was amazed at the accuracy, so much so, I ordered more of it today.

Ted

It's the boattail bullet? Hmm, that sweetens the pot for me.

Steel jacket? I've seen that stuff spark on impact downrange. Are there some cautions about shooting that stuff into hills with dry grass?

Your experience with accuracy is a tiny bit better than mine both with USGI (those were the days!) and reloads using bulk Winchester 147 FMJBTs. Mine were 5-round groups, going 1.5 MOA with scope, 2 MOA iron sights. Were you shooting 3- or 5-round groups?

Thanks for the product review.

Steeljacket kinda makes me shirk since I'm not into replacing barrels. But if the ballon were to go up, who cares?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The Talon M2 Ball ammo is genuine USGI contract ammo that has been "reprocessed" by Talon. The steel jackets are soft ductile steel and are copper plated. Much Nato 7.62 ammo such as West Germany's is steel jacketed also. Claflin Cartridge has answers on concerns about shooting it on their website at www.ammodeal.com. Check it out.

I was shooting 5 shot groups with iron sights,

[This message has been edited by TTed (edited July 21, 1999).]

Try also checking out Cascade ammo http://www.cascadeammo.com/ This is where I get most of my ammo. It costs $93.00 for 400 rounds of 30/06 Talon, and comes in a GI ammo can. Last time I picked some up (not to long ago)it was $88.00 so the price of this ammo is also goin up.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited July 25, 1999).]

Back