Talking to pros and antis and neutrals

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Talked to all three types this weekend. First was a neutral who worked in the gun department of the local sporting goods store. He and I talked about different types of loads for different types of guns for a while; then I mentioned that I was involved with a group trying to get Concealed Carry passed in Ohio. Wow! It was like somebody flipped a switch. All of a sudden this guy was totally against it and was no longer willing to talk to me about guns. He did make a few racist comments about 'certain types' that he wouldn't want to see carrying. His manager came over and overheard him and pulled him into the back room. End of conversation. I walked out.

Second type was a kid packing my groceries and a new copy of a handgun magazine at the supermarket. He looked at the mag and said to me matter of factly, (Ohh..guns are bad.) I didn't know what to say for a second or so, but then told him, 'No, people are bad. Guns are no more bad than my checkbook here.' The cashier kind of shot him a nasty look and he clammed up. The cashier and I then had a short conversation about how we haven't had much time to do any shooting with the holidays so close. I loved it. The kid packed my groceries and seemed stunned that the cashier girl he had his eyes on was a gun owner. :D

My last stop today was at the local gun shop. Picked up a new holster and asked about leaving a few copies of the CCW petition for people to sign. The guy behind the counter who had been kind of gruff before, grabbed the page and said, "Hell yeah! I'll even sign it right now!" He then called over a few of the folks who worked there and told them about the petition and they all signed also. He even asked for a few extra copies of the petition because he figured he could get them filled really quick. I had only collected a few signatures previous to that, so I felt pretty good about that little exchange.

I am fairly new to this type of 'evangelism,' so I would be very interested to hear about your experiences talking face-to-face with folks about guns, CCW, RKBA, etc. I sometimes find it hard to get started in the conversation, but most people I have met at least seem willing to listen. Perhaps we can all learn something from each other's experiences to put to use in our everyday 'spreading of the word.'

------------------

RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"

Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4

Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

[This message has been edited by TheBluesMan (edited December 19, 1999).]

I have on the back window of my truck:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow... RKBA![/quote]

It's big so that you can read it from another car as you are driving.

I've had people roll down their window at the stop light and ask, "What does 'RKBA' mean?"

I've been challenged by being asked, "And just what freedoms are at stake?"

Others chuckle in agreement and shake my hand when they know I'm the owner of the truck with the slogan.

And some are just plain confused... I don't get it (about them). It's such a simple statement.

I run a service oriented business that caters to retail businesses so my truck's all over town. I believe it's good advertising.

I even had one guy come up to me when he noticed I was carrying and say, "I feel safer knowing that you are armed, just being here in this complex." And he was serious.

I've only had one negative experience, and when I found out that guy was drunk, we parted company real quick!

All in all, it's been a great experience being proactive about something we all believe strongly in.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

Oddly enough, I don't run into too many chances to talk about this subject in my daily routines, and most of the people I deal with on a day-to-day basis are pro-rights.
I've been online for about 6 years, and have debated the issue countless times. A few tricks I've learned:

Establish some common ground using the "Ransenberger pivot." Say something such as, "Like you, I want to help find a way to decrease violent crime..." If you can start with a point of agreement, it makes people more receptive to the rest of what you say.

Draw out your opposition. Ask "how" and "why" a lot. It may not make a convert, but usually, it can bring out the fact that the anti's argument is based on "feel goodism" and really offers nothing substantial. This is more for onlookers and lurkers.

Never, never, never, resort to name calling, personal insults, or use words to the effect that the person or their ideas are stupid, dumb, etc. (even though many of them are dumber than a bag of rocks.) Instead, reply with, "I think that's wrong/mistaken/whatever because...."

I have been invovled with many theatre and dance companies locally, and I always tried to wear NRA pins, hats, etc, whenever I could. It always got the artsy crowd thinking. It just blows their preconceived notions about "NRAheads" out of the water to see one knee deep in artsy stuff and holding his/her own. They can't figure out why I'm more interested in playing a good bass line for a musical than guzzling beer and shooting Bambi. (Hey, a time and a place for every thing under the sun. Just 'cause I'm playing bass tonight doesn't mean that "Bambi" is gonna be safe from me tomorrow. ;))

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

I'm kind of a traditionalist about this sort
of stuff.
If I meet someone who tries to tell me that
I shouldn't have a gun I tell them to piss
off and bother someone else.
I don't believe they are worth wasting time
on--maybe it's because I've tried it before.
I do know that the only way some people learn
anything is by being told bluntly what the
score is.
It's a little like driving--you can learn more from a good fright on the road than all
the training manuals.
And it's like meeting a strange dog who growls at you--you leave it alone--and maybe
they'll think twice about trying it on again.

A friend was quite "anti" several years ago.
We had a notable three-hour heated argument over the subject, ending with:
Her: "You've just got an answer for everything, don't you?"
Me: "Yep. I've thought about it."

Our friendship continued, and I started attending LFI every summer. Apparently she observed my serious study of the subject, the thought-out opinions, and the fact that I hadn't turned into a goblin in the process.

One day, having lunch in a park together, she noted the possibility of daylight crime in the park and the lack of police presence. Pointing to the LFI logo on my shirt, she commented "I feel safe around you; you'd know what to do." I smiled - progress!

Last year I took her to a gun show, noting that it's mostly just a big hobby for most people, and she appreciates people having hobbies and attending such specialized shows. Walking past hundreds of tables displaying thousands of guns, we were surrounded by normal-looking people fingering antiques, art, components, kits, cheap, expensive, books, etc...no crazed gang members or thugs or racists or etc., just normal people engaging in aspects of the same hobby. Then I got her to go again six months later, and she watched her friend get happy at buying a couple cases of ammo at a good price...and nobody got hurt (except the risk of dropping a box of lead on my toe).

Then came the final turning point: Penn & Teller's Double Bullet Trick. We went to a Penn & Teller magic show. The last trick was the two performers catching bullets in their teeth...and they needed two audience members to verify the process & equipment. Claiming experience with guns, I was picked ("How do you know about guns?" "Trained at Gunsite and Lethal Force Institute!" "Get up here!"). That was an important point for my friend: in her eyes, diligent study in a strange subject had paid off, making me an on-the-spot expert ready to verify something on stage for a couple thousand observers. For her, guns had been raised from a dark criminal evil to a legitimate respectable subject.

Walking out of the theater after the show, she declared that I would take her shooting (her idea - not mine!). Some weeks later, and after showing her and letting her handle each of my guns in a safe environment, I did. She underwent the pleasureable psychological stress of loading and firing a .22 - so strange, yet nothing evil happened. Then we upgraded to 9mm: the first shot, a force never experienced before, proved to be a huge psychological shock...quickly followed by "I gotta do that again." Conversion complete. Success!

You won't convert someone with a few carefully-constructed phrases, facts or philosophy; moving people from anti- to pro-gun takes time and effort, likely culminating in some unexpected turning point. She started staunchly anti-gun. With care, reason, gentleness, examples, and successes, she has switched to wanting her own handgun. She's even a TFL lurker now. (Comments, AL?)

John az/2:

Man, you just sent shivers down my spine.

I saw your truck a couple of months ago. I was at a stoplight eastbound on Brown at Lindsay, in front of the high school. I was on my Harley. Your truck pulled up next to me and just beyond me in the right lane. I couldn't believe what I saw!! I wanted to give you the thumbs up, but the light changed and you pulled away.

I have been repeating your words whenever possible, to whoever listens...hope you don't mind.

I remember thinking to myself, that one's got the intestinal fortitude to put his beliefs where his wallet is!

To run a business and stand up for RKBA on display...what a guy!

My hat is off and I am bowing as I type....

Dago

Back