Talk to me about handgun silencers...

They're useless, expensive, relatively hard to acquire (time) and can't be left accessable to others EVER (like rifles in your truck, etc...)

But I love mine (AAC blackbox .45 on a SiG 220) and I'm so happy I got it.

Are you confused yet???? ;) you may want to see the Suppressor forum for more topics.

As far as aquiring it... you need to first learn your state's (or country's) laws. Then see a liscensed dealer (Sorry so vague, I'm antsy about telling people I that I don't know anything that could be taken as legal advice;))

The cost depends on what you want from who... the higher the velocity/projectile size, the more you're gonna pay. Also, In My Humble Opinion, stick to well known manufacturers (Surefire,AAC, Gemtech, Knights) don't just buy one that seems priced right.

My AAC was $775 plus tax PLUS BATF $200 tax stamp, and those don't come over night.

Also you need a barrel that is threaded (read extended for most semi autos) and it must be threaded to the proper suppressor that you want. Also most semi autos need a recoil booster to function properly as the suppressor adds weight to your barrel, slowing the guns action down.

Dont believe the movies. There are a few (LIKE 'THE OUTBACK II') SUPPRESSORS THAT MAKE THE GUN VERY QUIET (THESE SOUND LIKE A PELLET GUN ON A .22LR) BUT: Suppressors are not designed to silence the gunshot....they are designed to make the sound non-distinguishable as a gunshot. Example: Most people will tell you that a large caliber pistol w/suppressor sounds like a car door shutting at a distance.

Thanks, again...that's very helpful information. As a fan of "24" I always assumed they weren't that quiet :)

I'll wander over to the suppressor forum. Thanks, again!

Mike

.22lr is really the only cartridge that you're going to be able to suppress to "Hollywood" levels. Most stuff is hearing safe with a can (even a .50bmg that I saw at a shoot a few weeks ago) but it's not exactly a whisper. I really like the SWR Trident and the AAC Evolution for centerfire pistol cans. For .22, The SWR Warlock or Spectre and the AAC Pilot are excellent.

Subs through a Evo9 seem pretty damn enar hollywood quiet to me and others who've heard it.

Quiets down report dramatically, not too hard to get, well worth it.

Yeah the Evo is an excellent can, but it's still not movie quiet even with 147s going through it. That was the point I was making. That "peeew" sound that you hear in the movies...that's just not what it sounds like. I could fire a suppressed .22 in my back yard and the neighbors would not hear it. I would most certainly not fire a suppressed 9mm in the back yard.

The Trident on an HK USP sounds quite odd - "cheeep cheeep." It was quiet, just had a strange tone to it.

dewatts

I would like to know how you got an AAC Blackbox 45 silencer that never went into production? Are you so tied into the company that you got one of thier pre-production prototypes?

David Hineline said:
I would like to know how you got an AAC Blackbox 45 silencer that never went into production? Are you so tied into the company that you got one of thier pre-production prototypes?

Yes, I would like to know the answer to that question too. I have been waiting patiently since David's post to hear Dewatts answer. So, what's the skinny? Did you manage to get your hands on a Blackbox or are you full of crap?:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back