Talk about a great deal

SgtGunner

Yesterday I just happened to me in the right place at the right time. While at a customers house, we started talking guns. One thing led to another and I went home with a LNIB SS Ruger Blackhawk in .30 cal. Carbine with a 8 3/4" bbl. All told this beast only put me out $175.00, with a beautiful leather western rig. Just goes to show what being there can do. Now we just pray the wife doesn't ask too many questions. Hell she stopped noticing new handguns 3 years ago.........hehe

I wasn't aware that it was rare....is it?
Come to think of it I do not think I have ever seen one before, but I have to admit I am not all that much of a Single Action revolver buff.

Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine

I have one, but in blue. I wasn't aware they came in stainless.

When you go to the range to shoot it for the first time, a word of caution. Since the .30 Carbine round is a rifle round, the powder used is meant to be used in a longer barrel than your Ruger, not that a 16.5" Carbine barrel can be considered 'long'. Not all of the powder will be burned before the bullet leaves the barrel. You'll have one heck of a muzzle blast/flame ball. The first time I took the .30 Blackhawk to the indoor range the guy in the stall next to me came over and asked what in the hell I was shooting -- and I had been shooting full-house .357s before that!

Really though, the .30 carbine round out of your short (?) barrelled Ruger will be travelling about 1450fps. Considering it uses a 110gr bullet, that puts it in .38Spl to .38+P territory energy-wise. When you start thinking about how much .30 ammo costs compared to .38, and what a pain .30 ammo is to reload (Carbide dies are expensive for this caliber, bullet selection sucks...), you'll see why this particular chambering is not all that popular.

Anyway, have fun with your new toy!

Recommend you treat it with kid gloves, no shootin, till you find out more about it.

That seems to be an unusual combination of model, material, caliber and barrel length.

Sam

hmmmm

I never thought of these aspects. Thanks for the info guys, looks like I will spend my weekend doing some research.

I was told that there were fewer than 1,000 made in stainless in .30 Carbine.

No matter what, though, you got one hell of a deal for $175.00

You did exactly what I would have done. I shot one back in the 70's, and loved it. For 175.00, including leather?? Never hesitate, just get out the wallet!

You did darn good in my book. As stated, a good leather rig is worth $175. Any Blackhawk is worth $175 easily. Judging that this may be a rare wheelgun, I'd say you took him. ;)

Back