"Tales of The Gun" tonight (Baby Eagle/Jericho)

Kentucky Rifle

I turned it on a few minutes late. They were talking about a pistol that the Israelis call the "Jericho" and in the US it's called the "Baby Eagle". I think that the program said that all models are made in Israel by IMI. The people who were training with it made it look VERY good. Does anyone have experience with the pistol? Can you post a picture that I can call up? (WebTV) The trainees were shooting so fast that I couldn't get a good look at the pistol.

Thanks,
Kentucky Rifle

[Edited by Kentucky Rifle on 03-04-2001 at 01:22 AM]

It's a CZ-75 clone, sometimes with a slide-mounted decocker, sometimes with a frame-mounted safety like the original. Rumor has it that Tanfoglio (as in EAA Witness) makes the big parts, and Magnum Research puts the little parts on, which I can neither confirm nor deny.

It looks almost exactly like any other CZ-75, if you extend the frame all the way out under the slide.

It's a nice gun by any measure, but I'd vote for the original.

Steve

Kentucky, look at the Magnum Research page for the Baby Eagle....http://magnumresearch.com/

I had a Baby Eagle, the subcompact polymer in 9mm. It shot great, very accurate, nice sa trigger, da was avg. Didn't like the slide mounted safety, it sat up too high and I had to adjust my grip to reach the safety.

Rumor? I heard that most components of the Jericho/Baby Eagle are manufactured in Hungary now (cheap?). They tend to break faster..Anybody who can back this story up?

BTW This goes only for recently produced baby eagles by IMI, the quality of the earlier models is very good (nice 'n sturdy components).

Jericho/BabyEagle

I don't know if this means anything, but I called Magnum Research and spoke to their technical department [gunsmiths?]. When I asked about the rumor that Tangfolio makes the parts and IMI assembles them in Israel, they stated that this was a rumor only. IMI makes the gun, not just assembles it.
Actually, if you stop to think about nation of origin and politics, and then compare to the US military, I would be VERY surprised if Israel was willing to rely upon the importation of parts to make the basic sidearm of their military. From what I have heard, this was one of the reasons Beretta makes guns in the U.S., so we won't be cut off from weapons in a war/conflict. Israel faces higher pressures than we do, so I can't believe they would create a military that relies upon importing their weapons, when that supply line could be cut off for political reasons. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't make sense.
Now, if it were just another manufacturer of civilian weapons, it wouldn't matter. But the Israeli Defense Forces use the Jericho and Uzi pistols [according to Jane's] that are made by IMI. Just some research. You can find images of the Baby Eagle at http://www.magnumresearch.com I've been trying to decide between the Baby and the CZ75, so I've done a LOT of research and thinking. The result is I still am undecided. However, the Baby Eagle does have a slightly shorter/closer trigger reach than the CZ75, so my finger doesn't feel like it will slide off the side of the trigger. Also, I don't have to change my grip between DA and SA firing. This had convinced me that the Baby was the way to go, until I picked up a CZ75 Single Action this weekend. Man that is one nice pistol! I usually love choices, but not when they leave me confused!
jaosn

Saw/handled one about 10+ years ago and also have a poster of this pistol. It WAS called the Jericho 941 it came in a large black case with a 9mm barrel AND a .41 cal (mag?) barrel. I THINK that it took the same magazine for both. It had the typical owners brochure along with a box of UZI brand 9mm and .41 cal ammo. Saw one complete at a local gun show about 6mth ago. Think that the asking price was about $900 but not sure. The builder was IMI and the poster shows their logo. I agree that it looks like a CZ clone. Today they don't mention the 41 cal variant Hope that this helps--DAROGUE1

Baby Eagle

I have a full size 9mm. and intend to be purchasing a compact .40 I believe them to be great handguns and very accurate out of the box ;)

darogue1, the caliber your reffering to is the .41 AE (Action Express , yes the same as .50 AE) round. It's a sized up 9x19 round with the same butt as the 9mm. It uses a different magazine/barrel/spring though.
To give an idea: 200 grains at 'bout 1000 fps. (310 m/s)
Muzzle energy is about 600 joules (120 % of the 9mm para).
The Jericho 941 is one af the few pistols made for this caliber (hence the name jericho "9" "41")

You may want to hit the search function, several folks here have used baby eagles. Personally I think they are great.

Back