Taking the plunge, again

mobayjd

Hi all, been lurking about here a coupla weeks now, first let me say thanks a wealth of knowledge here! I presently have a colt 1860 army I built from a navy arms kit in the 80s, as you can see still not blued. I shot it a little in the 80s really enjoyed, smoke, smell and noise! Just ordered a colt 1849 pocket from cabelas. Can,t find any holy black locally, was wondering what is closer 777 or pyrodex both available, want the smoke and smell.
Thanks, Jack

Attachments

• new 022 (2).jpg
    new 022 (2).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 59
  • new 024 (2).jpg
    new 024 (2).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 50
Pyrodex is about the closest you will get to the smoke and furor of true black powder. Hmmmm, wonder if one could get a little flowers of sulpher and mix....nnaaaaah. :D

Pops

Both will smoke, 777 perhaps a little more. Neither will match the smell, unfortunately. P-dex is a tad better, but IMO neither smells good enough.

Thanks guys I still have A flask about half full of black from the 80s shakes and looks good will save for special times, about two yrs ago I started feeling leery about old gunpowder in the house and dumped all I had on lawn, black powder bullseye and unique. Oh well.

Back