Taking an AR out of stae and bringing it back ?

rebs

Do any of you guys shoot at Camp Parry, Ohio and take your AR ?
What is involved ?
I live in NYS and we are going to Tennessee to visit our kids and grand kids. I would like to take my AR along since my son wants to take me shooting at a range there.
What would be any problems I may encounter if any ?

It sounds like you've been living in NYC way too long.
Enjoy your trip back to America.
Unless there's the equivalent of Checkpoint Charlie at the NY boundary, what exactly are you worried about?
Has it really gotten that fascist there?
P.S
It's Camp Perry in northern Ohio over looking Lake Erie and named after an actual person who well deserves to be remembered.

Last edited:
I'd be careful in Tennessee. If you drop it on your foot it might hurt.

So far as taking it back to NYS I'd make sure I had the receipt showing when and where I bought it especially if it is non-SAFE Act compliant. If you do get stopped and searched for some weird reason in NYS you don't want the police thinking you bought it out of state and are importing it illegally.

As others have said, the only issue might be if you got stopped and searched on your way back into NYS.
As long as it is compliant you should be good to bring it back in.
It wouldn't hurt to bring your dated sales receipt

Thank you for the replies. NYS can be brutal if you get the wrong cop. There have been some arrests over the safe act, some stuck and some were thrown out. The best way I can describe it is that it depends on the cop and the judge.

Did you register it in NY? Unless you registered your AR with NYS after the start of the "SAFE Act", it is a felony to own one. No way I'd drive around with one in NY if it's unregistered.

I'd be nervous in other states you might pass through, too. Mostly MD or NJ, but I'd research any I was going to pass through.

David

The AR had to be registered unless it is NY compliant. The gun shops are selling NY compliant AR's
Less than 1% of AR owners registered them.

Back