Taken the dive...

stagpanther

Finally decided what my next build is going to be and the barrel order is in at NSS. Take a guess what it is. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4400.JPG
    IMG_4400.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 232
Darn...you remembered.:D But yes, that's what is. I couldn't find brass or ammo anywhere--but then discovered Quality Cartridge, a boutique brass maker, and they made me happy. I understand it's a barrel roaster, but I'm going to experiment with some "conditioning" and see if that makes any difference. In the bigger scheme of things 3 to 4 hundred dollars a barrel doesn't seem all that bad as a "consumable."

I understand it's a barrel roaster, but I'm going to experiment with some "conditioning" and see if that makes any difference. In the bigger scheme of things 3 to 4 hundred dollars a barrel doesn't seem all that bad as a "consumable."
Years ago, I hunted ground squirrels in CA a lot. Built a 22-250 and rebarreled it several times. I had a friend I hunted varmints with in Idaho who owned a 6mm-06. He called it his "50 cents rifle". Pretty basic math: it cost about $500 to rebarrel it each time, and he got about 1,000 rounds through it before accuracy went completely out the window, so about 50 cents/shot (not counting the cost of the ammo). Had another hunting buddy in NV years back who shot a 264 Win Mag. Same logic, only the numbers were a little different. Both of them were high volume shooters, both of them rebarreled about once/year. Your barrel is a consumable, have fun and don't let the numbers scare you.:D

As far as barrel conditioning, I got the best results using Militec-1 as a bore conditioner. A friend used Dura-Lube. Lots of shooters use Tetra bore conditioner. Bore conditioning works, I can tell you that, but there is no way for me to really quantify it. I do it for increased velocity and reduced fouling.

I do it for increased velocity and reduced fouling.
Exactly. But it takes a while for me to get "a feel" for the real potential of a barrel, it's almost an art figuring out "how much--but not too much." I'm getting a high quality match grade barrel, so it's a bit intimidating to go right at it with something like Tubb's conditioning bullets--but they do help. I'll just have to really closely examine the bore, chamber and throat and hopefully not botch it.;)

I've put a ton of bore work into that model 70 270 WSM I told you about, I've got it shooting pretty well with the right load and have polished out a bit over 50% of the spiral gouge in the bore it came with.

I will be interested to hear how you do with that Shooting Times wildcat. In published data, it seems to trail the "ultra" mags and Nosler's new big case. But it should have the capacity to run with them.

I will be interested to hear how you do with that Shooting Times wildcat. In published data, it seems to trail the "ultra" mags and Nosler's new big case. But it should have the capacity to run with them.
It trails the bigger ones by only a marginal bit, an insignificant factor IMO since it's already got enough juice to get out there far, flat and fast. My barrel is being made with a fast twist to handle some of the recent spectacular 7mm bullets that have come out.

I bought a barrel from him the day before yesterday, but wasnt as adventurous. I went 7mm Rem Mag. Hope it shoots well for you! What length did you choose?

Last edited:
I bought a barrel from him the day before yesterday, but wasnt as adventurous. I went 7mm Rem Mag. Hope it shoots well for you! What length did you choose?
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I've shot a remmie 700 in 7mm RUM and I liked it--except at close range it can "laser beam" right through your game. I ordered a 28" heavy sporter with 8" twist and decided to try the ratchet rifling out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Bullet selection is gonna be key.
With the fast twist out of the STW, i'd shy away from the ELD line.
Unless you go really heavy, and slow the speed down.
Not what the STW was developed for.

Difference in velocity between STW, and the RUM not unlike the difference between the Rem Mag & the Weatherby Mag. Aka, not enough to matter.

With the fast twist out of the STW, i'd shy away from the ELD line.
Why's that? "overspin" for the jacket--or are you speaking in terms of performance on game? I was thinking mostly of Berger's newer heavy bullets.

Last edited:
Back