Tactical Viability/Effectiveness of aluminum frame .45s?

Dogger

Will Beararms posted an interesting thread in several previous messages: "I have found that the .45ACP is best suited for larger, heavier, steel framed pistols. I am not affected by the recoil of a full-sized 1911 variant in a stress fire situation but I assure you that a lightweight polymer or aluminum framed or a cut down steel platform is a different story."

His premise is that it is fairly easy to score accurate target hits with a lightweight .45 (e.g. an aluminum framed M1911 or a Sig P220) while engaging targets on a stationary range, but a WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY when you attempt to engage targets in a moving, highly stressful scenario a la Gunsite. He mentioned having several stoppages from inadvertently limp wristing while under stress.

Figured I would go ahead and start this thread:

Are we deluding ourselves in thinking that we are going to easily control our lightweight .45s when the adrenaline is pumping and out butts are on the line? I know for a fact that I have to have dry hands and a death grip on my Colt CCO to keep it from shifting in my hands after the second round is fired. I am tempted to replace the factory rosewood grips with a Hogue grip with finger grooves.

I can control a full size all steel 1911 much easier. Of course, it is a pain to carry... But a heck of a lot easier to bring into action and shoot repeatedly when under stress!

Thoughts?

------------------
"Why, I'd rather suffer through a proctologist's exam than pack a Kimber!"
Gen. Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
Manassas, VA

Dogger, Yes Lightweight guns can be brought into play quickly and accuratly. I currently carry a Lightweight Officer's ACP which is lightly customized. Until I recently moved the range I attended ran a IDPA type shoot at least once a month. I would often be a range officer during these shoots, and we had quite a variety of shooters, from LEOs and former Navy Seals to novice shooters who wanted to get in on the fun. In shooting against those folks I was able to shoot as well as anyone with the exception of the Navy Seal who seemed to best my times by about a half a second on a 10 shot course of fire. He was shooting a full sized H&K USP in .40. So yes a lightweight gun can be used effectively if you are able to practice enough. And another advantage, that extra 10 ounces can make all the difference when you've had a gun strapped to your belt for 12 to 16 hours. Just my humble opinion. Mark / Fl

I had previously (and sold, doh!) both a lightwt Commander and a lightwt Officer's ACP.
Oddly enough, I found the short barreled and short gripped Officer's to be more controllable than the Commander.
I regret selling the Officer's, as it was a sweet concealment piece. I am currently contemplating buying a Springfield Ultra Compact (same size as the Officers).
I don't think that a person would have any trouble controlling the Al framed pistols.
I would add, however, either front strap serrations or skateboard tape to the compact M1911's.

------------------
Give me Liberty, or Give me Foodstamps!

I am seconding NuclearGlock's recommendation of skateboard tape on the front strap of your pistol. I put skateboard tape on my 1911 front strap about 3 months ago and the difference is dramatic....much more control. Also, as an added bonus, it looks cool.

Dave

The recoil impulse on Officer sized guns is similar to the recoil impulse on the full size Government model due to the fact that the Officers model uses dual recoil springs.

The Officers model has a quicker locktime due to the shorter slide/barrel, and its also quicker to get back on target.

That said, I'd still opt for the full sized steel gun for carry. I have no problem concealing one in a IWB holster.

I shoot alot...ALOT... so an aluminum frame wouldn't last too long.

If Will Beararms is limp wristing under stress, then he needs to re-evaluate his
shooting technique.

First of all with normal pressure .45's the alloy frames are as good as the steel. Over the years we've seen alloy frame 1911 type guns fired with tens of thousands of rounds with no problems. We had ONE alloy Colt frame crack where the slide stop goes in, but didn't effect function etc.
ANY gun can fail. Also few shooters worry about the FIT of the gun to their hand. They keep worrying about which gun. If the gun doesn't fit YOUR hand your performance will suffer regardless of the gun. Guns are like shoes. $500 sneakers are worthless to run a race if they don't fit.
Years ago with shotguns a real "gentleman" was fitted for a shotgun or rifle like clothing. That art is gone sadly, but shooters have to start examining their physical measurements vs the guns to be truly effective. I can shoot and "qualify" with most anything, but some are so much better than others. It is a ME & YOU issue, not a gun issue. No two people are the same. I just had to certify a female cop on a Model 10 .38 special when everyone else went to a Beretta 92. Her hand was small and it just would not work. NOT the guns fault. When we got her a gun that fit her hand she was shooting in the high 90% rate with ease.
Less weight does mean more recoil. Simple physics, but again some can handle it far better than others. Wise be the shooter that knows how they stand. We don't always make the choices we want, but what we need.

Back