Tactical Pooch Bests 700lb Gator

Wow, I'd like to read more details about this story. Glad to hear doggy made it. Lucky and skillful. I've had my fair share of close calls with alligators and snakes in Florida. Alligators are EXTREMELY fast over a short distance.

Lucky and skillful
I'll say! A big Golden Retriever is about 100lb - which would make the gator 7 times his size! On top of that, the gator caught him in the water, where he performs the best and the dog performs the worst. That is one incredibly courageous and quick thinking dog that could fight that huge carnivore off. :eek: :eek: :eek: Good dog!!! Cooper has quick wits, nerves of steel... and cojones the size of basketballs! :D

No one finds it interesting that the story goes from interviewing the father to suddenly describing it as "one of the biggest" gators in the county -- who's head & hide is in dad's freezer? So what happened in between dad's arrival and skinning the gator? Did dad kill it with a butter knife?

The original story, not the one slimmed down for Bostonian readers, can be found here at the Post and Courier.

Apparently dogs get into 'gator trouble every year. Here's another story about a surviving dog named Bosco...

Thats because aligators like eating peoples pet. They have no hesitation of climbing fences to get to them too, where they just make easy prey.

Growing up in Florida I've always heard that alligators LOVE dogs, its like their favorite food. And with all the yuppies with lake homes letting their dogs run around by the waters edge, they get plenty of them. I'm amazed the little guy got away! Good thing he wasnt a chihuaha! :eek:

When interviewed Cooper was quoted as saying, "I say, I say, I do declare, I believe I'll stick to the wadin' pool in the future, suhr!" :D

If his dog was named Cooper for the same reason my dog is named Cooper, I think I know how the gator got dead and in the freezer. :cool:

Larry

Back