Tactical Light for HK USPC

AKrob

I've been thinking about adding a tactical light unit to my HK USP40C. I've looked at the unofficial HK website provided by the folks at streetpro.com. Great information there, but I still have questions...

I like the features of the SureFire models, but I don't like the way the light sticks way out in front of the gun in the 6 volt model that is pictured. It would seem to throw balance WAY off. Does the 3 volt model stick out his much? Couldn't find a picture on the surefire site...

I like the profile of the HK UTL. It seems to be a nice, compact fit on the gun, but doesn't seem to be as good feature-wise.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

AKrob

Look into the Wilcox Tactical gear. Big on the features, big on the reilability. It's what I'll be getting for my full-size .40 USP as soon as the coffers fill up here. :)I don't think the have a running web site right now, but you can call them and get a catalog...if I find the # i'll post it.

This page has some info on their gear, however:
http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/wilcox.htm

- gabe

The 3 volt model shaves about an inch off of the length of the light. Remember that the SUREFIRE weapon lights are shock isolated, which adds size to the head of the lamp. The UTL is not shock isolated.

I have owned both and found that the SUREFIRE weaponlight is superior. For civilian applications, a weaponlight really only belongs on a home defense tool (e.g. nightstand gun, shotgun, etc.,) as concealment becomes an issue when dealing with weapon mounted lights.

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

You will really want to get the shock isolated Sure Fire. I bought the UTL when I bought my USP .45. I went through 3 lamp modules in about 18 months. This was in several training exercises and one actual operation. I seldom removed the UTL to shoot (wanted to train the way I would fight). The lamp modules were $15.00 each from HK (only sent direct to the PD on a letterhead, to protect their dealers). I finally broke down and bought a 6 volt Sure Fire. I've had it for about a year and have had no problems with it. I had to buy a new holster
frown.gif
and it's not as compact a package, but I am confident the light will work when needed. It's light enough that I don't notice the pistol being unbalanced.

I wish Sure Fire would use a battery arrangement like Insight Technology does on the UTL to cut the overall length.

HTH

Jeff

Be aware that even some of the shock-isolated Surefires can have lamp problems, so do like Jeff says -- train and practice with all your equipment.

My Surefire Millennium M500A blew a MN10 lamp (almost out of the box) during a low-light rifle class a few weeks ago. A guy in the same class had his P61 lamp assembly fail, even though he was using the shock-isolated bezel. Both of us were using AR15 rifles, not exactly known for heavy recoil.

OTOH, my Responder 617F hasn't given me any trouble yet, despite numerous shotshells -- I keep the Responder installed for busting clay birds, steel matches, etc.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Back