tactical leveraction carbine

house

I would like a good carbine may be in 30-30 or some were in that line? since ar15 and other so called assult weapons are baned were i live can you guys guess were that is
CA!!! you guessed it!
Can some one direct me the right way on a good gun. from slefdefence to big game hunting, to urban warfare?

You can get leveractions in many calibers; from the 30-30 up to the 45-70 up to .308 and still hotter up to the 7mm Mag. Marlin, Browning and Winchester are the big names in leveractions until you get up to the .308 and hotter then Browning is the only game in town.
It's hard to be more specific with an answer without knowing what type of terrain you expect to be in, do you reload or only buy factory ammo, how recoil shy are you etc. Finally handle them and see which one feels the best to you. That is the one that usually works the best for you.

I've got a feeling that Marlin's "guide gun" in 45-70 with the short compensated barrel is going to be very popular in places where other rifles are banned. I do know that the larger sight manufacturers are making ghost ring sights for these rifles, that'll help a lot in making it faster to shoot. Good gun, great round, low profile(if you get my drift there), it would work well for you.

Or you can just get a shotgun, most popular ones will accept a rifled barrel for slugs, and most have good ammo capacity. Pump or auto, either would also fit the bill here. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

A Winchester M-94 "trapper" (16" barrel) in .44 magnum would seem ideal. It hits hard at any ranges you would likely be able to justify as self-defense and offers an edge in magazine capacity over the .30-30. Fit it with a ghost-ring rear sight (either the Ashley or the Williams 5D or Foolproof with the aperture insert removed). Have the guys at Milt Sparks (www.miltsparks.com) make you a Cold Comfort butt-cuff to hold extra ammo. You could even attach a Weaver-style scope mount to the forend and, using a Weaver ring, mount a Surefire flashlight in such a way that your left thumb could operate the tailcap switch.

If you prefer Marlin lever actions, Marlin is going to offer their 1894 in .44 magnum in a 16" barrelled version this year (their website says February or so).

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited January 05, 2000).]

My choice is a Model 94 in 30-30,and here's why. The pistol calibers are fun and quite effective at short range, but the 30-30 packs more energy at 100 yards than most pistol calibers do at the muzzle. The 30-30 has an excellent track record on game, and it's probably the most widely used non military round in the Americas. Ammo supply, simple...

Got one I'm putting together, it's a 94 with peep sight and sling swivels. No butt cuff, don't want to bulk that slim and handy piece up. And for tactical use, fire one, load one.

Dave McC wrote: "And for tactical use, fire one, load one."

I don't usually get overly concerned about magazine capacity. One is more likely to run out of time than ammo. Still, a higher capacity can be comforting and can result in having to divide one's attention a bit less due to requiring less weapon manipulation.

I'm aware of how a pump shotgun can be manipulated in a "shoot one/load one" manner, without breaking one's firing grip and maintaining the weapon in a firing position. How does one do this with a lever action? All of the lever guns I've worked with are configured so as to require loading with one's strong hand and, generally, dropping the piece from the shoulder to do so. The user is not capable of responding, immediately, to a threat while loading (which is why I prefer to minimize the need to load). Am I missing something here?

Also, with no butt-cuff, from where are you getting the rounds you're loading? A belt holder? A pocket? What if you've just been awakened and grab up the rifle while in your skivvies or PJ's? Where's your spare ammo then?

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited January 05, 2000).]

I have a Winchester Model 94 "Trapper" in 357 Magnum. I love this gun. It is accurate, holds 9+1 rounds and has been very reliable. It functions reliably with both 357 magnum and 38 special Ammo, and it is comforting to be able to have a handgun and rifle in the same caliber. Marlin also makes a nice 357 Magnum Carbine (1894 CS I believe). It has a little shorter throw as the action is smaller, and from the one I fired, it seemed a little smoother than my Winchester. I personally prefer the classic lines of the Winchester though. Mine is fitted with a Williams Fool proof Micrometer click rear sight which is just the ticket for Home Defense senarios

First, Roscoe, for inside the house I've other alternatives.Letting off a 30-30 in a room is guaranteed deafness. At least with an 870 or handgun they'll be some hearing left.

Second,it's not for laying down suppressive fire, it's for taking out BGs at moderate distances as needed.

Third, I'd reload from a belt pac or pocket.

I must say, the tone of your post seems kinda hostile. Is it?

Dave McC,
If my tone seemed hostile, I apologize. That was surely not the intent. Text sometimes makes communication less precise than if we were chatting around the campfire. I was interested to know if you had worked out a way to do a "tactical load" on a lever gun, while operating in the shoot one/load one mode. I have never been able to work that one out and have just reconciled myself to having to drop the gun from my shoulder and load it strong-handed.

I'm well aware of the noise problem with firing a full-power rifle indoors (this would seem another advantage of the .44 in this application).

Personally, I like for a defensive longarm to have a bit of spare ammo attached to it, in case of a "grab and go" situation. Even though the number of rounds needed for most problems will be ONE, it's comforting to have some extras along.

Once again, I apologize if the post seemed hostile or strident. It sure wasn't meant to be.

Rosco

Though I've never attempted it I think a tactical reload with a lever action would be relatively easy for us left handers. Use the strong hand to support the weapon and load with the weak hand straight in. A right hander could have problems slipping ammo past the gate pressure while reaching over or under the receiver, but for a lefty it's right there in front of me, straight in.

I just asked a similar question a month ago.
I ended up with a .357 Magnum Winchester 94 "Trails End". It was designed for Cowboy Action shooting and therefore has "hi capacity" with the full length 18" tube.
It holds 11+1 rounds according to the guy at the store and has an 18" barrel. I figure that ammo is cheap, and out of an 18" barrel the .357 Mag puts out plenty of power to drop a human in defense.
It has high capacity and is quick handling with plenty of power and it looks very PC. I got mine mainly as a cheap gun I can carry around and keep in my trunk etc, but still has a lot of tactical value. A shotgun might have even been a better idea, but the lever gun is a bit more compact and I just like 'em.

I know it is not the proper preferable technique, but as a right handed shooter, I reload my lever action with my right hand, holding the gun on target with my left hand on the foreend stock. It only takes a flash of a second to get my trigger to the finger if I need to fire. With practice, I can hold the rifle on target and load without looking. I realize the idea is to keep the trigger hand on the gun so that you can fire instantly, but I feel confident with the technique I use. I know that many here know more than I do about tactical carbine use, so what are the tactical pitfalls of my technique?

I have a Marlin .44mag that is cut down to 16 inches. Talk about a politically correct great urban gun. It is very accurate and hits like the proverbial brick outhouse. The nice thing is they don't raise any eyebrows, and when their cut down this small they look like .22's. This or a guide gun would be my choices in the people's republic of Kalifornia.

No offense taken, Roscoe. The 94 isn't a first response piece,IMO, and my 870 has a sidesaddle and extended mag.

Tac reload, leave the piece at the shoulder and use the strong hand to stuff it full.

Back