TACK DRIVING .308

Dikyllis

I am interested in purchasing a real tack driving rifle!! Something that shoots sub MOA at 100 yds., yet can reach out several hundred with accuracy. Being a college student, I am on a budget. To date, my research has pointed me in the direction of the REM.700PSS. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

Remington Varminter. Virtually the same gun, but with a slimmer (at the grip and forearm and less one swivel stud), handier stock which is more portable in the field. In Vietnam, target stocks were tried but snipers had them traded for the lighter, handier sporter configuration stocks.

The current trend for sniper stocks is towards fat beavertail stocks with pistol grips approaching ninty degrees. If you have this month's Tactical Shooter magazine, check out the Chandler Bros. article on rifle stocks. They compare a the shape of the newer "sniper" stocks to canoe paddles.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Dikylls:
As it was expressed the varmiter stocks are quite good. I used them in a T-Hole configeraton and they worked out very well. You had mentioned a "Tac Driver" in .308. The photo on my web page is of the caliber and MOA you describe. 1/4" at 100 machined.

http:members.tripod.com/~stock4broker/Firearms.html

The "Cody" is described on that page, and you may want to consider this type configuration.

Mauser 98 action, 24X scope, dot reticle, t-hole stock, with Cody Mounting system, set trigger.

HJN

Lots of guys over at varmint hunter magazine were buying up savage Tactical rifles in .308 a few years back. They figure out what a lot of us savage owners know already. They shoot really well!

I currently shoot a savage 116fsak in 30-06 with a "compact fluted staniless bbl and adjustable muzzle break. I average .5 to .75 three shot groups with a tasco 3x9 world class 40mm scope and burris rings using dqad's special recipie sierra 165gr sbt game king bullets at 2800fps.

You SHOULD be able to get a savage .308 tactical or fluted stainless model and a nice tasco 3x12x 40mm scope and rings for under $500. (buy the rifle at wal-mart and the scope through midway)

And if you want to test accuracy... buy federal premium or match grade ammunition. Load to best dupicate the ballistics of one of these factory rounds.

Are you using this rifle for varmints? Competition? Antelope? Deer? etc. You can easily make a rifle TOO HEAVY to carry by putting a huge scope and bull barrel on it you know?

Stay safe and practice, practice, practice...

Dr.Rob

On a budget? Go for a good used 700 at a gun show, and explain that if it doesn't shoot MOA, it comes back. If you're willing to try it. (That's the fun way.)

Second thought is a Savage 110 from your local gun shop. (That's the efficient way.)

Dakota Longbo - Oh - budget...
Yeah the Rem 700 is a good bet. You can find them any place... scrounge around local pawn shops and gunshows. Most any 700 is a good shooter. To get under MOA you may need to work with it first - but thats all part of the joy. sub moa can be purchased- but it is expensive.

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

The Remington 700 PSS is probably the most accurate out of the box. I have yet to encounter a fellow shooter who has purchased one and has not been amazed by the accuracy. I have heard some mixed reports on the Savage- some like it, some don't, some say it doesn't hold it's accuracy after a thousand rounds.

Depending on your shooting plans, either the PSS or Varmit model (same barrel/action, different stock) is the way to go!

Also, if you are strapped for cash, you can enjoy shooting a nice accurate gun now and slowly save up for those custom add-ons... (custom trigger, stock, better scope, etc.)

My first .308 tack driver I picked up in High School and had to sell to get through College, so I know how it can be on a budget, but I would recommend you consider an good Springfield M1A NM. I was able to pick up a used one for the price of a new bolt action 20 years ago and found it could always shoot sub MOA with good handloads. I always regret selling it because it was so darn accurate and a mild shooter to boot.

My current M1A SM will put a 20 rnd mag full so they all touch off the bench and my M1A NM will almost do the same (just not as good as my old one). Even my stock M1A will usually hit 1 MOA if I do my job, but certainly not every time.

Consider the alternatives.
pete

While there is good arguments in favor of the Savage if a production rifle will meet your future requirements but I always urge a new buyer to consider as far into the future as he can and make the procurement of a rifle a long term project. What I mean by that is to start with something to build on. I recommend starting with an action that over time he can build a system which will meet all his requirements. My choice is a Rem. Pick up a cheap one used if he can, Shoot it until he is able to get the most out of it that it can give and then upgrade as finances will allow. With the installation of a good fiberglass stock, blueprint the action, and installation of a match grade barrel and he will have a rifle equal to any custom rifle and for one heck of a lot less money spent over a longer period of time. You might say that it is easy for me to say as I make my living from stocks and rifles so I am prejudiced to that point of view. To that I say that having spent a career in the military when any purchase was a long time effort that I still think like a poor man and understand how difficult it is to make large purchases when your busy raising a family with all its expenses. The approach that I lined out will be by far the cheapest way for a shooter to wind up with what he will be satisfied with rather than buy what he can afford and keep replacing it till he gets what will finally satisfy him.
Gale McMillan

I picked up a 700 PSS in 308 this past week.
I already know that something is going to have to be done about the trigger. It feels like around 10 lbs pull and has a rough spot in the take up. I have shot both my bro. inlaw's and another friends PSS rifles and they both did very well out of the box. I will post in Reports from the range next weekend after I have a chance to take mine around the block. Good luck on your quest!
Hank

Back