T/C Scout Rifle

j.chappell

I need a little help. I recently acquired a T/C Scout Rifle in 54cal. I took it to the range yesterday and with the first shot I had powder blow back into my face.

The rifle had been completely cleaned prior to this shooting session. I used 90gr of FF powder, 54cal sabot with appropriate sized 45cal bullet and cci no.11caps. Upon firing I felt something hit my face. I looked in the mirror of my pickup and noticed that it was un-burnt powder. Also the cap had all but been blown apart from firing.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

Thanks,

J.

I doubt that it was un-burned powder. For it to be un-burned powder, somehow a powder granule would have had to come back through the flash of burning powder, past the nipple, and somehow been ejected into your face. More likely, when the cap split (which is common), a small gas jet came backwards out of the nipple and deposited soot on your face.

The T/C Scout is an inline muzzleloading rifle, which means that the nipple and cap are aligned with your face when you are in the firing position. Something came back toward you, which shouldn't happen. I'd recommend that you get the rifle checked by a gunsmith who is familiar with inline muzzleloading rifles.

Back