T/C Pro Hunter handgun cartridge?

NavyChief

I am going to hunt with a new barrel on my T/C Encore Pro Hunter S/S this fall. I have a Ruger SRH in 44MG set up to hunt, but want something else. I have dies, bullets, powder for 44 mag, but also have 308, 243, 270. 30-06, 30-30, 300 & 270 wsm dies, bullets, and powder. My budget allows one barrel....which one would you choose, and why?

Add a little to the pot and get yourself a custom Bullberry barrel for your Encore. Accuracy is superb and you can get any length you want, in either chrome moly or stainless. I have a 10" 44 mag barrel from Bullberry, and it shoots lights out (1½" groups at 75 yds), even though I'm 61, wear bifocals, have carpal tunnel syndrome and drink too much! I killed a big whitetail with it a few years back.

9-point.jpg~original

Of the cartridges you already load for, the 308 makes the most sense. Get it in a 14-15" length with a muzzle break, and it will have about the same recoil as factory 44 mag in a model 29 Smith, very shootable, and twice the range of the 44 mag.

For such a light gun of the rifle calibers you listed I would have to go with 30-30 or .308, though I would imagine it would have some stout kick.

If it were me, I would want a.big thumper, like 45colt, 45-70, 475 linebaugh, .480ruger etc..

I have been shooting contenders and encores for quite a while, and several family members have them too.

The most manageable cartridges in an encore are the 243, 260 and the 7mm-08. Anything larger quickly gets to be a handful.

My pet .308 barrel with a factory muzzle tamer brake mostly sits in the safe - its just too obnoxious to shoot more than a few times a year.
My 45-70 barrel gathers dust in the safe right next to it.

308 would be my choice of the cartridges you list. No longer than 12" though.
Not on the list but one I have wanted for a while is 375 Win.
I have,
8"44 Magnum octagon
10" 357 Maximum bull
10" 25-35 octagon
All Contenders

Depends on what you plan to hunt, if you're staying with deer sized game then the .243 will work very well. If you're planning on elk-sized game then go with the .308.

Back