T/c contender scope

brentwinkey

Inactive
Any contender buffs on here? Got a good deal on a frame a while back and a 30/30 barrel. Looking for a scope. Preferably a gloss finish to match the nice bluing. Thanks Brent

Any good EER pistol scope will work. Finding one with a gloss finish might be a little difficult. It seems most manufacturers now go with the less costly matte black, or silver.
I have found a few used, in very good condition gloss finish scopes on ebay for several 'Tender barrels. I generally don't go to extreme measures to match things up though. I have a stainless G2 frame that I use stainless barrels, abd scopes, gloss barrels and scopes, and recently a matte black cerakoted barrel with a matte scope.
Congratulations on your 'Tender. But one warning, you have just begun. Contender barrels are like potato chips. You can't have just one.
I bought mine used with a 35 Remington Super 14, and a 14" 22 LR Match barrel. Since then I have added a 22 Hornet Super 14, 223 Super 14, 7-30 Waters Super 14, 10" 30 Harrett, and 10" SSK 45-70.
One other thing that really brings out the best in a Contender....Handloaded ammo. You can really develop, and tune your loads for the particular barrel length you are using.

Last edited:
Don't go too high with the magnification. One of my pistols wears a 2.5-8x scope. It NEVER sees the high end - can't find the target with it. Also, make sure that at whatever eye relief you get it has sufficient magnification for your arms. With that particular scope I have plenty of eye relief when it is cranked up but when it is down to 2.5 I have to hold it at full arms length to see through it. An additional couple of inches would make it more comfortable.

Last edited:
I have several different caliber Contender barrels...all have a different scope, but they are all variable power...2.5-8X. They never see the high end of the power range but they offer the lower end that is more useful to me than a 4X fixed power. My 30/30 barrel is a 14" with a 2.5-8X Weaver...it works very well for me on 3X...my max range shooting ability is 100yds.

I bought not to long ago a pretty nice Weaver 4x Gloss finished scope for my 10" Octagon 25-35. No complaints so far, I seem to remember it being about $200 or so. I also got a nice blued Leupold mount and rings.
My 2 other barrels had to have frames also;)
10" Bull 357Max with a 2xRedfield
8" Octagon 44Mag open sights (will open your eyes!)
You can find some really nice old original grips and forends on ebay, if your into that sort of thing.
Just looked, Weaver has a 1.5-4x Gloss. Amazon says they should be available for about $230.

Last edited:
Contender Scope

I have a 10" .30 Herrett. For years I had a 2X Leupold M8 on it but I've since mounted that scope on my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. Right now I have an older 1 1/2x Redfield EER scope on it. I prefer a low power scope on my handguns, I need a scope more for a good sight picture than for the magnification. Both the Redfield and the M8 Leupold have a high gloss finish.

I had a first generation Bushnell Trophy pistol scope and it worked very well, just a little heavy. My nephew borrowed it about 15 years ago to try on his Super Redhawk and won't give it back. The original Trophy scopes were high gloss finished. The new ones are matte, they look similar but I don't think they are made quite as well as the originals.

Contender scope

I'm kinda leaning towards a weaver 1-4 power. Never owned a weaver anything. Are they good to go or something to stay away from? I see a couple of guys have weavers. What's your opinions on them? Thanks Brent

I had a friend a long time ago that used a .30-30 barrel on a TC Contender to good effect shooting some kind of silhouette competition. He liked the power for knocking over the steel targets and thing was marvelously accurate the couple times he brought it to the indoor range and let some of us try it out.

Good luck.

Back