T/C Compass 6.5 Creedmoor

pTac

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hi. I'm in Indiana and am considering getting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor for deer hunting. Wondering if anyone else with one can give me some reviews on it?

Doesn't Indiana have some weird cartridge restrictions to where you have to use a .35 caliber or larger? 6.5 Creedmoor works fine on deer otherwise, I don't know anything about the T/C Compass. I did like the T/C Venture I used to own, it was a tack driver.

Doesn't Indiana have some weird cartridge restrictions to where you have to use a .35 caliber or larger? 6.5 Creedmoor works fine on deer otherwise, I don't know anything about the T/C Compass. I did like the T/C Venture I used to own, it was a tack driver.

Yeah 6.5 Creedmoor is one of the allowed rounds here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they change the law? It wasn't listed as legal before.

A couple years ago or so. I spoke with my local shop a few weeks ago about it as well as I was thinking about the .243 and they also said to go with the 6.5

From the IDNR website:

ecfbb3a0467cd75a6a6484fb99055bea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one on sale for $140. Dog ugly but scary accurate. Out of the box, the trigger sucks royally, but easily cured with about 15 minutes work.

My buddy missed the biggest deer either of us had ever seen with one last year at about 50 yards haha... but I think that reflects on the shooter, not the gun, the cartridge, or the very accurate hand loads we developed.

If that's the budget range that you're looking to be in, then go for it. That combo will work just fine.

They sure have some eclectic choices in what is legal and not in Indiana. And apparently what is legal on private property is different than public. Did a little research and found this. According to this 6.5 CM is not legal

https://www.buckmasters.com/Hunting...iana-clarifies-new-rifle-law-for-deer-hunters

Some additional rifle cartridges can be used only on private land during the firearms season, because of the law passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly, House Enrolled Act 1231.

The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches ; the rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches; the rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is .243 inches (or 6 mm) or .308 inches (or 7.62 mm);

In other words in must be either 24 caliber, or 30 caliber. Nothing bigger, smaller or in between. 24 and 30 only.

No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester);

A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed includes the .270 Winchester, .38-55 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

The new law is scheduled to expire after the 2020 deer season, at which time the DNR will submit an impact report to the Governor and the General Assembly.

absurd

THAT has got to be the most goofy, irrational, illogical caliber restrictions I have ever seen. The '06 is legal but the .308, its ballistic twin, is not? No .270, period? To boot, you can only go afield with 10 cartridges????? What about 6 arrows, 1 knife, etc. Absolutely absurd.

OK, rant over. Regards the 6.5CM. My interpretation is of that brief read is that the 6.5CM would not be legal. The .243 is listed as legal (at present) and has a long history as an adequate deer cartridge when suitably loaded. To 300 yds, I don't see the 6.5CM offering much over the .243 anyhow.

They sure have some eclectic choices in what is legal and not in Indiana. And apparently what is legal on private property is different than public. Did a little research and found this. According to this 6.5 CM is not legal

https://www.buckmasters.com/Hunting...iana-clarifies-new-rifle-law-for-deer-hunters

In other words in must be either 24 caliber, or 30 caliber. Nothing bigger, smaller or in between. 24 and 30 only.

I wonder how in the world they came up with that? Must have taken a lot of though and a couple joint's!:confused:

I had one that was super accurate. The safety was very hard to work, and the trigger was bad. After working the safety a bunch of times it finally got better. But they are a good price.

I have two Compass rifles, on in .223 and other in 7mm-08 that I like very much. The trigger is adjustable and replacing the spring with one from a Winchester rifle made it much better.

I just remembered, I bought it at Academy. And at the time they had a discount for vets or something. They had this rifle on sale and a free Heritage 22 pistol. They gave a S&W hat and knife. The whole thing was 199 plus tax. Pretty good deal. Still have the pistol.

Back