synthetic stocks for a marlin 336?

tahunua001

hello all,
I am thinking about possibly attempting to make a modernized version of the american classic. I am trying to keep within a reasonable budget so I am going with the 336 since it has a reasonable track record and is fairly common yet still quite affordable. does anyone know where a fellow could get a black synthetic stock for the 336 without having to buy one of the rare, expensive, stainless steel models?

You can occasionally find new and used factory stocks through Numrich (gunpartscorp.com) and other vendors like "Bob's Gun Parts" (gun-parts.com).

JMR, if you don't mind my asking, what makes you say that the ramline stocks are junk?

frankenmauser, thanks for the tip, I would have never even thought of numrich as I normally associate them with replacement parts for springfields and enfields.

I was going to suggest Ramline as a cheaper alternative but somebody else on the internet says they're junk with no explanation so they must be garbage.:D

Good topic and funny you should mention it- it makes me think and offer this:
In my present mode, when I buy a bolt action hunting rifle, I favor synthetic and stainless. However, when it came to getting my 336, I liked it as it was just fine and never gave any thought at all to synthetic.
I guess, for me, a rifle like that just needs to be wood.
Some time has passed since my first words and I took a look at my hunting rifles. I think if a company made a good quality product to replace wood, and if it was every bit as good as the other stocks I have, I would buy that.

Last edited:
^^^why does everyone instantly think of red dots, rails, flashlights, lasers, and telescoping stocks as soon as you mention plastic?

I see no problem with synthetic furniture on lever actions just as I see no problem with synthetic grips on revolvers but thank you very much for your helpful comments good sir.

JMR, if you don't mind my asking, what makes you say that the ramline stocks are junk?

Because I bought a used a rifle with one on it years ago. It was thin, flimsey, noisy and left 1/8" gaps between stock and metal. If someone made a decent stock at a good price for a lever gun I'd buy it. I have no doubt the MPI stock is a good stock, but it is not worth the asking price to me.

Right now the wood stocks are about as good as it gets. I have seen a few guys "paint" lever gun stocks with the same stuff they use in the spray in bed liners to get a tough, weatherproof finish. I've seen photos of some guy in Alaska with a SS guide gun done that way. Unique and serviceable to say the least.

Back