synthetic lube

wgr

Inactive
i been using synthetic trainsmission fluid .to lube my black powder rifles. this works great and if mixed 6to1 r 6to 2 with colman fuel makes a great patch lube and doe s any one have any thoughts on bore seasoning personaly i think it is wishfull thinking if u use lard bore butter r any thing else like it then clean with hot soapy water your going to clean back down to the metal most guys use dish washing soap and this stuff is made to cut grease well that the nice thing about muzzle loading everone has a dime to spend and now im broke like to hear some coments

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in my semi auto's. After seeing how well Mobil 1 performed in hydraulic systems/transmissions. I used to work for Eaton hydraulics division in MN. I started using it on my guns. It withstands high temps/flames, and sheering pressure much better than conventional oil. Plus my carbines run nice and smooth, longer, and they clean easy after some heavy blasting. I would trust them to nothing less.

Seasoning

Have seasoned many bores as well as old frying pans. Wife washes the pans and they are still seasoned. Kills me when she soaks them or uses a brillo pad. I have even seasoned my S.S. barrels and all work just fine. It's great to load a seasoned barrel. Initially will shoot a minimum of 100 rounds and get the barrels plenty hot and muddy. At this time I have to say that I no longer shoot black powder or Pyrodex. I know guys but I hate the crap. I no longer let any water touch my guns. I soak the barrels in a mineral sprit bath for at least three days after coming home from the range. Then I scrub, slosh and pump the mineral spirits and finish with a good application of bore butter. You can make your own, you know. Takes time but worth the effort. I shoot traditional, in-lines, Cap & ball and single shot target pistols.
Yes, all seasoned.

One oil that really works great is mineral oil. A large bottle of the stuff is $1.00 at the Dollar store. It's about as pure as oil can be and never gets gummy and stays on the metal and sheds water great! It's used by hospitals for there equipment and by restaurant equipment owners and manufactures.
I have a lot of old glue bottles and some small ones used for Elmer's. I clean them out and they work great for oil bottles. You can get out as much or as little oil as you want. As for seasoning the bore I believe that's a waste of time and agree with WGR about destroying the cure every time you scrub the bore. I use a wire brush just like on my modern bores and also use window cleaner with ammonia to cut the grease. Then I run dry patches, oil patches followed by another dry patch in the bore. Mike

Back