Switching safeties for Lefties on a Winchester

Onslaught

Sorry to be so very similar to the Remington post, but I didn't know this was possible at all, and I want to know if this will work for Winchesters as well...

Can the push-button safety on a Winchester 1300 Defender be taken out and switched to work from the opposite side as it apparently can in the Remingtons?

Before I go forking out good bucks for MMC ghost-ring sights on my "house shotgun", I'd like to see if I can make it safer for me to use... i.e. while keeping my finger outside the trigger guard and ready for action, I don't accidentally knock the shotgun ON SAFE!!!
If I can't switch safeties, I will probably try and swap for a Mossberg, although I really like my Defender!

Thanks for your input... it helps a LOT!

Onslaught - As a lefty, I have thought about doing this myself to my Benelli. The only thing I worry about is if someone uses my gun and torches one off thinking that the safety was on. I haven't had a problem with the safety as it is, and I use it this way in 3 gun matches.

I can appreciate that, but the only other person who MAY use it would be my wife, who is also right-minded. Anyone else would receive the same obligatory lesson they get when I let someone shoot any of my weapons. Plus, I'd be standing right there to watch them.

I can't see me ever selling it IF I can get the safety converted, but if I did, I'd certainly convert it back.

I'm glad that using the safety as-is works for you. I just can't get used to it. It takes two hands to take the gun off safety, and my finger sits RIGHT on top of the button when "at the ready" so knocking the safety back on is a reality, even accidentally. I can't bet my family's life on a scattergun with that possibility. I must fix it, or sell it. For me, it's that simple.

Thanks for looking out for my safety.

[This message has been edited by Onslaught (edited October 31, 2000).]

Back